• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D35 c-clip vs non c-clip

HaleYes

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched and didn't find anything concrete. I know an 88 XJ should have non c-clip shafts. I know a 96 XJ should have the c-clips. Will non c-clip shafts work in a c-clip diff.? In other words, can I take the shafts from the 88 and put them in the 96? I don't think I can but I would like clear answer. TIA:wave:

Haleyes said:
I have searched and didn't find anything concrete. I know an 88 XJ should have non c-clip shafts. I know a 96 XJ should have the c-clips. Will non c-clip shafts work in a c-clip diff.? In other words, can I take the shafts from the 88 and put them in the 96? I don't think I can but I would like clear answer. TIA:wave:
No there would be nothing to keep your wheels from coming off.

Nope - the shafts are different.

In a C-clip axle, the shafts are retained by the c-clips (which are held in place by the axle shaft reatined by the crosspin, and the pickets in the side gears;) and the bearings ride directly upon the shaft. The shaft is free to slide through the bearing after the c-clip is removed.

In a non-C-clip axle, the bearings are pressed onto the shaft (it's about a .003-.004" press fit) and there is a retainer plate that holds the bearing in place - as well as the seal. The fit is such that it's usually easier to cut the bearing off than to press it off, and it's so damn tight that it really WILL stay put as long as the plate is in place and bolted down.

The C-clip axle has to have the c-clips to stay put, and the non-C has to have the retainer plates. Besides, I think the bearing surface OD is different between the two, so you can't swap the shafts on the bearings.

By the time you get done converting a C-clip to non-C, you've changed the side gears, shafts, and axle tube ends, as well as the brake assembly (since the backing plate isn't welded on the non-C like it is on the C-clip.)

It's probably easier to just replace the whole assembly, and sell the C-clip for scrap (since that's all they're really fit for, anyhow.)

HTH, YMMV

5-90

5-90 said:
Nope - the shafts are different.

In a C-clip axle, the shafts are retained by the c-clips (which are held in place by the axle shaft reatined by the crosspin, and the pickets in the side gears;) and the bearings ride directly upon the shaft. The shaft is free to slide through the bearing after the c-clip is removed.

In a non-C-clip axle, the bearings are pressed onto the shaft (it's about a .003-.004" press fit) and there is a retainer plate that holds the bearing in place - as well as the seal. The fit is such that it's usually easier to cut the bearing off than to press it off, and it's so damn tight that it really WILL stay put as long as the plate is in place and bolted down.

The C-clip axle has to have the c-clips to stay put, and the non-C has to have the retainer plates. Besides, I think the bearing surface OD is different between the two, so you can't swap the shafts on the bearings.

By the time you get done converting a C-clip to non-C, you've changed the side gears, shafts, and axle tube ends, as well as the brake assembly (since the backing plate isn't welded on the non-C like it is on the C-clip.)

It's probably easier to just replace the whole assembly, and sell the C-clip for scrap (since that's all they're really fit for, anyhow.)

HTH, YMMV

5-90

Thank you, 5-90
Very well explained, enough that a dingleberry like myself understood. I thought this was the case but I wanted to verify it. Thanks again.:wave:

You're welcome - I do the best I can.

You know, I've been getting similar comments from people who've bought my book - makes me feel good about the first one, and it has encouraged me to start the second one.

I really try to simplify engineering when I present it to everyone else - it's not that engineering is difficult, just difficult to understand (when you don't have the math, chemistry, physics, and half a dozen other subjects behind you...)

5-90

If you look right behind the backing plate on the axle tube, there is a slight bulge on non-c-clip axles and straight tube (equal size all the way to the pumpkin) on C-clips

Back