• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Pistons

Bill-93XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Did anyone see this..... ?

New Piston LINK

I was just wonder if that would quiet my baby down? Sometimes it sounds like a spray paint can with marbles rolling around inside!! My question is how can someone order the pistons and be sure there not going to get the old stock?? TIA ......

I'd thought.....

I seem to remember that in '96 or '97 they went to a graphite insert of sorts in the piston skirts on all 4.0's. This is not exactly the same as an overall coating the article refered to, but this upgrade was done to help quiet the engines. Perhaps this graphite type piston is what you want? OR rebuild it using a hypereutectic piston. It has some of the strength of forged but does not expand much at all so can be built with much less piston to bore clearance therefore lowering that 'marble' noise. Just built an old GTO Pontiac RA III engine using these pistons. Results were quite good.

Back