• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sway links removable?

BIG-G

NAXJA Forum User
Am having a tight time on budget and was checkin out the stock sway links and there are bolts on both top & bottom. So now why cant i just unbolt the link then when im done, re-bolt them back on and hit them with the grease gun?????

So is there any concerns with unbolting the front stock sway link and re attaching it after wheeling????

Anyone please chip in!!!

I disconnected thay way till jsut recently. It is a PIA but once you get them broke loose, it isn't as bad. Soak em' good with some sort of penertrant before you break them loose. I even put a dab of anti sieze on them when I put them back on. Once you've had them off a few times, it goes fairly smooth. HTH

As far as saftey concerns, I don't see how it would be any different than using quick discos.( Other that a PIA ) I never had any issues.

I don't see any problem, I would put the bushings and nut back on to protect the threads, or remove the whole link.

There is one problem though is the nuts are self locking and will wear out if removed often.

langer1 said:
I don't see any problem, I would put the bushings and nut back on to protect the threads, or remove the whole link.

There is one problem though is the nuts are self locking and will wear out if removed often.

Mine were not lock nuts.

So basically take the nuts off, bring them into lowes or home depot and get the same threaded bolt with a wing nut and maybe add a washer? And for the bottom i need a torx fitting and another socket to remove?? Correct??

So all i have to do is take off the nuts and get ones with matching thread pattern wing nuts and some washers and the torx fitting thats down there and iim all set to remove them??

BIG-G said:
So basically take the nuts off, bring them into lowes or home depot and get the same threaded bolt with a wing nut and maybe add a washer? And for the bottom i need a torx fitting and another socket to remove?? Correct??
NO.
The bottom bolt is splined and does not turn.Only the nut comes off,if you want to remove the bolt it will require some force.Heat and some way to push it out(clamp/socket,BFH,air chisle etc.)
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
NO.
The bottom bolt is splined and does not turn.Only the nut comes off,if you want to remove the bolt it will require some force.Heat and some way to push it out(clamp/socket,BFH,air chisle etc.)
Wayne

OOH, ok so just remove the top bolt and the bottom with some elbow grease and im good to go??!!

Back