• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rocker Rust!!

jeepnfahey

NAXJA Forum User
My 93 2 door has bad rocker pannale rust. I have used bondo in the past to fix it 5 times. I am from maine and we have bad winters so the salt just eats the pannal. what should i do Bondo again? New pannals? Rocker Guards?

I'd do a search on rocker replacement. It's been discussed before, some guys are cutting out their rockers and replacing it with square stock steel.

Being in the salt belt myself, I understand where you're coming from. It's just a matter of time before I'm dealing with the same problem.

http://www.madxj.com/ look for rocker replacement. I did the serious high clearance one and I am very pleased! :clap:

My recently purchased '98 xj shows just the beginnings of rust developing in the rocker panels on both sides. What I'm doing & I hope it works is to drill 1" holes into the panels from the top (under the plastic threshold protectors), applying POR-15 to the worst spots at repaired rust-thru sites, then will be spraying used crankcase oil into the panels via a pressurized garden sprayer. I have blown out a lot of rust & grit from the panels after I drilled the holes to clear them as much as possible first. Don't know if this will totally solve rust inside there, but should certainly slow it up if done occasionally.
regards,
jlex.

jlex said:
My recently purchased '98 xj shows just the beginnings of rust developing in the rocker panels on both sides. What I'm doing & I hope it works is to drill 1" holes into the panels from the top (under the plastic threshold protectors), applying POR-15 to the worst spots at repaired rust-thru sites, then will be spraying used crankcase oil into the panels via a pressurized garden sprayer. I have blown out a lot of rust & grit from the panels after I drilled the holes to clear them as much as possible first. Don't know if this will totally solve rust inside there, but should certainly slow it up if done occasionally.
regards,
jlex.

That actually sounds like a great idea man

Go to the paint and bodywork section and check out the thread titled "rattle cans" 5-90 lists a nice instruction sheet for doing some basice repairs; sorry I don't know how to link threads.Try to keep them in check while you can so you don't have to replace them.

Back