• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

some random wild crazy thoughts about rear hatch

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, here's another crazy idea that popped into my head. Has anone considered splitting the rear hatch into two pieces and making a two piece gate where the glass flips up and then the lower part of the gate flips down?

Kejtar said:
OK, here's another crazy idea that popped into my head. Has anone considered splitting the rear hatch into two pieces and making a two piece gate where the glass flips up and then the lower part of the gate flips down?
That's kinda how my Cheromanche works. There's a ton of problems to over come, mainly with the flip down tailgate. When flipped down in what would be the normal position for a tailgate, the bow and thickness of the hatch makes it near impossible to have a rear bumper. Then when you think about it, a fiberglass tailgate would just be in the way loading stuff and wouldn't be strong enough to support weight, the metal hatch would be a little better.It can be done, just a lot of work.

hackedxj said:
That's kinda how my Cheromanche works. There's a ton of problems to over come, mainly with the flip down tailgate. When flipped down in what would be the normal position for a tailgate, the bow and thickness of the hatch makes it near impossible to have a rear bumper. Then when you think about it, a fiberglass tailgate would just be in the way loading stuff and wouldn't be strong enough to support weight, the metal hatch would be a little better.It can be done, just a lot of work.

I was eyeing a commanchee tailgate for that purpose (for structure). You're right about the amount of work though and till I come up with a better concept I'm only thinking about it. Reason I am considering doing it is that I want to throw the spare on the outside (not the roof) but I hate the idea of having to flip open a gate to open the hatch and with a strong tailgate I might be able to mount the spare on it.
In any case, got any pics of your cheromanche gate?

Kejtar said:

I did, and what I did was go to a car dealer...and picked up a WJ.

Kejtar said:
I was eyeing a commanchee tailgate for that purpose (for structure). You're right about the amount of work though and till I come up with a better concept I'm only thinking about it. Reason I am considering doing it is that I want to throw the spare on the outside (not the roof) but I hate the idea of having to flip open a gate to open the hatch and with a strong tailgate I might be able to mount the spare on it.
In any case, got any pics of your cheromanche gate?
fitting an MJ tailgate on an XJ will be no small task. a few of us were trying to figure out how to fit my old tailgate on Scrappy's cutup junk, and you either need to rework the tail lights or narrow the tailgate. I would just make a tailgate out of square tube and sheetmetal.

I know it will not look like a Cherokee any more but what about van doors. I have seen it done on other things. You cut the last foot off a van. Mount cut down doors, frame, hinges and all on the Cherokee. May not be too much cutting. The nice thing is it WORKS it strong, and the doors don't come flying open every time you hit a bump. Like many of them hake jobs do.

I always thought it was a waste to not be able to roll that rear window up and down like a full size bronco.

Doing that would be easier than fabbing a two piece mechanism.

Dirk Pitt said:
I always thought it was a waste to not be able to roll that rear window up and down like a full size bronco.

Doing that would be easier than fabbing a two piece mechanism.
Yeah, but part of my motivation is to hang my spare on it. In order to be able to do a flip up hatch with a spare on it I'd have to do quite a bit of reinforcing to support the weight of a 33" tire on beadlock rim.

Kejtar said:
Yeah, but part of my motivation is to hang my spare on it. In order to be able to do a flip up hatch with a spare on it I'd have to do quite a bit of reinforcing to support the weight of a 33" tire on beadlock rim.

just make it a flip-down hatch. install the hinges on the bottom instead of top, and bolt latch on top. With the weight of a 33 on it, that thing will open QUICK.. just stand to the side. closing it might be a pain though....

I just mounted my 34 in the stock spare tire spot, that way I dont have to worry about all this stuff.. :)

Kejtar said:
Before I cut the top off my XJ I was considering building a tire carrier that hinged from the roof near the hatch hinges on the roof. Thinking of a ladder like frame that would go from the bottom of the hatch up on to the top. Design it where top roof will hold most of the weight. The frame would need slide mounts at the hatch or be double hinged to work properly when the hatch was opened. It would take some bracing and head scratching but it could be done. It would be something different and you could open the hatch and the spare at one time. I thought it would be a cool project.

you may want to checkout the tailgate on a TJ. they swing out to the side which would be nice for holding a tire. They are the same with as a CJ tailgate.

Back