• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Track bars....your preferance requested...

cwlongshot

NAXJA Forum User
Two questions:
1) Any experience with SKYJACKER's front track bar. Its a shorter style that uses the higher, stock stabilizer mount on the axle end instead of the factory's lower mount. I wonder about it.

2) If not, what are you using and how do you like it.

I need a new one for the MJ and need help deciding. I have a Tera-Flex adj bar on my TJ and I have already had to rebuild it. (Less than 5000 miles!!!) I put a Rubicon Express REAR Adj. bar on the TJ and LOVE it... but its quite expensive.

I want to get it for the week end, Essentials will have it here in two days, so I need to order by Wednesday.
Thanks,

CW

the only thing ive ever heard about the skyjacker's has not been good, I mayself am running a custom bar, however mefore that i was running a RE HD trackbar with the bracket. I would definently recommend this bar. It held up fine with absolutely no problems. Well all except one, the bolts loosened up until i put loctite on them, but i don't comsider that a problem of the bar. I would recommend the crossbrace with this though. Add this bar with a C-Rok frame brace for the steering and a M.O.R.E. steering box brace and your steering will dramaticlly tighten up.

Dingo

Don't get the Skyjacker track bar, my jeep is sitting in the yard right now with the axle mount twisted off from the bad design.

I highly reccomend one that replaces the mount too. I have rusty's HD version and it's been great. I went through 3 TRE's with my old RC POS!!!

hackedxj said:
Don't get the Skyjacker track bar, my jeep is sitting in the yard right now with the axle mount twisted off from the bad design.

I have herd MANY bad things about RUSTYS in general...too many to buy any of his/their products.
RE is my first choice and I know you get what you pay for...but at close to 300 beans for the bar and required bracketry......I am looking at other manufacturers.

How do you see the skyjacker design of this as having caused your twisted up axle? This is NOT meant as a FLAME, I am trying to deside on a bar and am curious.

CW

Last edited:
i'd go with RE stay away from skyjacker and teraflex they cause nothing but problems

Also since the Skycrapper kit relocates the trackbar you would also have to do something with the steering to correct the angles.
Another vote for the RE hd set-up,I run them on all my XJ's.

i run the RRO setup and hate it...

id avoid them at all cost - unless all you need are coil spacers

cwlongshot said:
I have herd MANY bad things about RUSTYS in general...too many to buy any of his/their products.
RE is my first choice and I know you get what you pay for...but at close to 300 beans for the bar and required bracketry......I am looking at other manufacturers.

How do you see the skyjacker design of this as having caused your twisted up axle? This is NOT meant as a FLAME, I am trying to deside on a bar and am curious.

CW
It puts all the pressure that a track bar has to take on the factory tin brackets designed to hold a steering stabilizer with a little "band aid" bracket over to the sway bar link. It came with some lift stuff I bought so I thought I'd use it against my better judgement. It lasted six months with only 33s before it twisted the bracket off the axle, if you search around you find it's common. I called SJer and they've never heard of a problem, I think they just don't listen so well.

hackedxj said:
It puts all the pressure that a track bar has to take on the factory tin brackets designed to hold a steering stabilizer with a little "band aid" bracket over to the sway bar link. It came with some lift stuff I bought so I thought I'd use it against my better judgement. It lasted six months with only 33s before it twisted the bracket off the axle, if you search around you find it's common. I called SJer and they've never heard of a problem, I think they just don't listen so well.

Makes sence, as most of the factory bracketry is crap!!! I have torn my fronts off, rear shock mount twice and upper rear CA mounts from the frame!!! I blame the factory more than the manufacturers, but I hear what you are saying. I have all MORE bracketry for my HP30 build up that is going in my TJ next year!!!

About the steering angles, I was under the assumption one of the reasons they moved the bar to the top of the axle was to LESSEN these offensive angles!!! This one says it is designed for 3-4" of lift on a XJ and 4-6" on a TJ. I am at three inches of lift in a MJ. The tar is sticking out the drivers side about 1 inch. I wont say I have all out DW but anyone who has experienced it....knows what it STARTS like....thats ALMOST what I feel on some bumps. My feeling is it is those brandy new CA bushings fighting to be straight and the TB pushing to the DS. That and my factory stabilizer MUST be getting tired after all these years!

As I said, RE is my FIRST choice...but that high cost!!!!! There MUST be another good product for less money....someone suggested the JKS bar. Anyone using one here???
Any other suggestions before I place my order?????

CW

cwlongshot said:
Makes sence, as most of the factory bracketry is crap!!! I have torn my fronts off, rear shock mount twice and upper rear CA mounts from the frame!!! I blame the factory more than the manufacturers, but I hear what you are saying. I have all MORE bracketry for my HP30 build up that is going in my TJ next year!!!

About the steering angles, I was under the assumption one of the reasons they moved the bar to the top of the axle was to LESSEN these offensive angles!!! This one says it is designed for 3-4" of lift on a XJ and 4-6" on a TJ. I am at three inches of lift in a MJ. The tar is sticking out the drivers side about 1 inch. I wont say I have all out DW but anyone who has experienced it....knows what it STARTS like....thats ALMOST what I feel on some bumps. My feeling is it is those brandy new CA bushings fighting to be straight and the TB pushing to the DS. That and my factory stabilizer MUST be getting tired after all these years!

As I said, RE is my FIRST choice...but that high cost!!!!! There MUST be another good product for less money....someone suggested the JKS bar. Anyone using one here???
Any other suggestions before I place my order?????

CW
If I were only lifting three inches, I'd just redrill the axle trackbar mount to line up the axle and put on a Grand Cherokee pitman arm and keep the money in my pocket. Myself and alot of guys have ran that setup with good results. I may go back to that!

hpi_jeep said:
i have broken 2 rustys HD tracbars. not worth putting another one back on.

Just curious, where did they break?

Well,
I went ahead with the SKYJACKER. I got it installed tonight!!!
Actually went VERY SMOOTH....must have done something wrong.........:eek:

Here it is all set:
TrackbarII.jpg

Here is the new axle end and steering stabilizer mount:
Stabilizer.jpg

I had to add a couple washers to keep everything square...shouldn't matter:
Trackbaraxlelink.jpg

Here is the new style frame end. While talking to a friend last night, he was worried I would have to drill out the taper of the factory bracketery...NOT SO!! They supplied a tapered bushing!!!!
Trackbarframeendlink.jpg

I only went around the block. But the steering is VERY POSITIVE and TIGHT!!! MUCH Improved!!! I still need to swap in a new tie rod end on the drag link, near the pitman arm. Mine has the tiniest bit of movement and its only a twenty dollar part. Then its off for yet another alignment!!! Last year I was going broke getting tars balanced every other week....this year its alignments! :eek: :eek:

Thanks to all for the advice!!!

CW

You do know it's "tires", right???

Cant tell crap from those pics,but it looks like your angles are way off.

I second Kevins Offroad. I had the Skycrapper trac bar, it wasn't worth the time it took to put it on. Switched to Kevins, and haven't had a problem since.

Back