• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheeling a long bed MJ????

simonsxj

NAXJA Forum User
Is a long bed MJ too long for the trails or am I concerned over nothing? Just wanted to know before I start the build up. If it is too long I will chop the bed but I want to get wheeling quickly. Any advice will be good. Thanks.

Long is better for some conditions, worse for others. There are some trails in the Mohawk TRail (Massachusetts) area that I was barely able to manuever an XJ through -- I doubt a longbed MJ would have made it at all. Other places it would be no problem at all.

Where do you wheel?

I used to wheel my metric ton long bed with sat at what would have been about 2in lift and i draged the rear bumper on everything but that thing was great. when i got my red xj and started wheeling it there were things that the mj would walk and the xj fought to climb. and it didn;t do to bad in the tight woods i could make some turns that a YJ with a locker in the rear couldn't. but of you boobed it it would be cool as heck.

Go wheeling!
If your prepared to chop the back the It wont matter it you dent the back bumper. I think A Long bed is cool and usefull!!
The bedlength wont hinder you turning radius, but it might behard to get through some spots. But is'n that why you go wheeling, to try to get through the tough spots.
Maybe a wrangler will slide through a set of trees, maybe you have to make a 32point turn, but it's all the same.

And you would look like the better more experienced driver.

the bigger the vehical the better the driver, wheel for a while and the chop the back. You'll feel like a semi driver parking a miata

Ruehmann

Ruehmann that was cool. I have been wheeling since I was 9 years old, I am 31 now. I think I will try the long bed, I have wheeled a short bed before and not had much trouble. I will wheel on the east coast, Tellico, Tenn., and such.

I have been wheeling a LB MJ for almost 5 years and love it. Yes, in the realy tight stuff it can be a pain but it will make up for it in other areas. There is no such thing as the perfect WB so it realy comes down to what you prefer and feel comfortable with. I say wheel it, you won`t be sorry, but my opinion is biased.

Back