• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Couple of electrical questions

cykaaro

NAXJA Forum User
On my '89 the DRL aren't running. Where exactly is the module forit located and what does it look like? I know it's supposedly to the right of the steering column under the dash, but what exactly am I looking for?

Secondly, I'm going to put in power seats replacing what's in it now. Being that I have to hardwire them in as I doubt there's any wiring harness for them already, what is the best way to accomplish this? Do I need a relay for them? or one per seat? and should I use a 30amp relay? or is a regular type relay fine?

TIA

AFAIK the 89 does not have DRL, at least mine doesn't but my 93 has it. I'm not truly sure when it was added.

OK, I'll bite. What the heck is a DRL?

old_man said:
OK, I'll bite. What the heck is a DRL?

Daytime Running Lights. Essentially it is the high beams on at 1/2 power when the light switch is off...standard equipment in Canada for about the last 15 years.

Yep, DRL=daytime running lights.

From what I was told, as I know the original owner of the vehicle, is that it did have it. Whether it was an option or not, that I don't know. I'm working on hunting down various electrical issues with this, this being one of them. Several I know are the steering column itself, and the other is the signal lights. Whether that is also related to the steering column, I've yet to be able to figure out.

I recently changed a turn signal socket and found I had no parking lights front or rear. I got out the electrical troubleshooting manual for my 88 XJ and found they lights did not work used the same fuse.

Then a couple of years ago my headlight switch decided have the internal circuit breaker get weak when i was 200 miles from home and dusk was approaching. I changed the switch in the parts store parking lot and made it the 250 miles to my destination that night. I later noticed my headlight delay feature was not working any more. I ask on here and someone said "check the fuse?" I did and sure enough I had blow it.

I recommend you check your fuses to see if you have one that is blown, if you have the owner's manual see if you can find teh fuse listed for the DRLs. I hope it that simple.

On export add ons, they sometimes hide the fuses, behind the dirvers side kick panel. I´ve got three fuses in there.

89's didn't have DRL, it became a legal requirement for all 1995 model year vehicles in Canada, my 95 XJ w/police pkg doesn't even have DRL's, then again when have you seen a cop on the side of the read running traffic with his headlights on, when I got it safetied it was an issue, but they ran my vin and got the build code, and it didn't have a drl module, for an 89 don't worry about it, run with your lights on, just hope your idiot buzzer works so you don't park and leave em on!

Thanks. Trying to go through everything and get it all working, which is mainly fixing the oil leak, and the electrical issues. My '90 Pioneer has the DRL and was told that this one had it. If it doesn't then it's like chasing my own tail looking for it LOL

cykaaro said:
Thanks. Trying to go through everything and get it all working, which is mainly fixing the oil leak, and the electrical issues. My '90 Pioneer has the DRL and was told that this one had it. If it doesn't then it's like chasing my own tail looking for it LOL
Someone could have added it.

Look for something like this, behind the driver kick or around the air box.

45021b.jpg

Back