• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

V-8 Cherokee guys

ImGonnaSnap

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a sbc 350 in my cherokee, and have been trying to get the overheating issues under control with this heat. As it is now It's got an alumnum radiator and a flex fan, which isn't cutting it. My next step is to raise the rear of the hood to vent it, it is a very tight fit between the rad and pulleys. I have an extra trarus fan i tried fitting, but its too wide. I've been looking at electric fans, perma-cool and flexalite, single's and duels but they do not impress me much. any suggestions or comments?

Well, don't know if my approach to cooling my 350 was an overkill--but I don't have an overheating problem. And that was my goal. I grafted 1/4x2x7 tubing into my "frame" horns and installed a steering gear out of an WJ Grand Cherokee. This box sets on top of the frame and gives about 3" more clearance between the "box" and the pass side frame; additionally, I notched the pass side frame (my added tubing) ~1", so that a Howe 2-core, 19x26 aluminum radiator would fit (part #342A). I also extended the frame rails and built a new front cross member. The new steering box required extending my drag link ~5", and marying the lower end of a WJ steering shaft to my XJ's upper shaft (different shaft u-joints).
Moving the "box" over also solved clearance problems between the exhaust manifold and the stock Chevy fan.
Manifold problems ocurred because my local SMOG ref required I use late model truck manifolds, which are significantly wider than car applications.
My stock XJ pitman arm bolted right up to the WJ steering box. I did have to modify my driv'rs-side sway bar drop bracket to clear the pitman arm when steering is hard over to starboard--even now, it just barely touches the sway bar. Also, the power steering fittings from the Chevy are the same as the WJ box--thank god. I'm also using the stock HD fan clutch, and a home fabbed shroud. Well, I could go on for pages on this swap--but, the short of it is, technically, my new radiator barely meets the basic requirements of cooling a stock 350.
According to my research, the cooling area of a radiator should be 50sq inches greater than the cubic inch size of the engine; however, My engine temp stays arround 195* off-roading and city driving, and ~195-200* at highway speeds (fully loaded with camp gear and weeks worth of provisions); a long, hard pull in 5th(yeah, I love the power!) while passing some one uphill has resulted in a max of ~210*. So, I'm happy. But as they say, you get what you reap.

Overkill is what i am going for as well. I went out and measured my radiator, which is 17x27, the fins only being 17x24. you mentioned you extended your frame, did you move your radiator forward?

Image Insert:[br]
20050725174921_xj3501.JPG
[br] 137.18 KB[/size=1]

20050725175005_xj3502.JPG
[br] 133.44 KB[/size=1]

20050725175043_xj3503.JPG
[br] 113.74 KB[/size=1]

20050725175314_xj3506.JPG
[br] 100.6 KB[/size=1]

20050725175132_xj3504.JPG
[br] 116.1 KB[/size=1]

20050725175242_xj3505.JPG
[br] 107.5 KB[/size=1]

Disclaimer: yes I know about not having a fan shroud.

I did move the radiator forward ~1.5".
I'd include pictures, but I havn't figured out how to get them from "My Doc's" to this thread??
Looks like you too, added tubing to the driver's side, but retained the stock steering box?
Roger

i went extreem.

DSCN0358.jpg

that pluss i moved the rad 1.5"fwd, with the front bumper i made i didnt need the lower cross member so it is much smaller too
DSCN0339.jpg

cant tell in this pic though

forgot to say, i moved the rad not for heating issues, the bmw electric pusher fan is awsome for that. i moved it because the first time i went wheeling i punched a hole in it with the water pump pully.

Last edited:
Looks like a custom shroud might be in need.

I had that problem back in the day when I put V-8's in the 6 cylinder Cutlasses I had. Finally listened to dad and put shrouds in, overheating problems solved.

Just a thought.

Cory

csr_011 said:
Looks like a custom shroud might be in need.

I had that problem back in the day when I put V-8's in the 6 cylinder Cutlasses I had. Finally listened to dad and put shrouds in, overheating problems solved.

Just a thought.

Cory

I agree... a shroud should fix alot of overheating issues. The shroud will increase the effiecency of the fan by directing the air through the radiator instead of all over the place. Make sure the fan blades are half in/ half out of the shroud for max effect. Engine driven fans can really pull some air when properly setup (size, shrouding, so on), only drawback is the drag but you have a 350 TPI in an xj, your not hurting!

Also make sure that electric pusher is the same or higher CFM than that mechanical fan.... you dont want the electric 'choking' the mechanical.

Looks like you have alot of room for a high CFM puller if you remove the mech fan and/or push the rad forward.

of course you cant make up for a radiator that is too small with fans.

I dont necessarily think the radiator is too small, 17x27 comes out to 459sq inches (even if just counting fin area, thats still 408 sq inches) . according to xjbubba, its enough radiator for the motor. I am not looking to nessecarily use a mechanical fan. it doesnt seem that it could pull the proper amount of air, given rock crawling at super low speeds. So for thin line puller electic fans, what are you guys using? I was thinking of like twin 12 inch fants or something, but they dont pull nearly enough, compared to a larger single fan..

steagall, i like how you vented your hood, I would probably mess it up if i tried that though.

Xjbubba, to post pictures already hosted, go back to the thread and copy the html code from that post, and paste it in a new post.
It should look something like this:
http://www.jeepaholics.com/support/files/imgonnasnap/20050725174921_xj3501.JPG[img]

Also, I can't really take credit for most of the work done on this vehicle.. the v-8 swap and dana 60's were swapped in before i bought. thus far I have changed out the rear suspension, and am working on modifying the front.. other stuff, too..

ImGonnaSnap said:
go take a look at my posts again, please. take a close inspection, if you have to.
So, just wondering, but why dont you have a shroud on? For the pics? Have you ever put one on with this engine, or are you just bypassing this step? NOt rying to be rude, but you dont have one on, and it does help.

What size is the flex fan it looks like a 16in, a 18in should fit. Thats what I have in mine mocked up. I plan to run a dual 1in core aluminum radiator 36inX12 (facotry location) and use the Big AC condenser rad for my automatic th400. Ill make a shroud, and vents as needed.
t_100_0350_s_149.jpg

Do you have an automatic that could be heating it up?
Are you running the AC and heating it up?

Starboard M said:
So, just wondering, but why dont you have a shroud on? For the pics? Have you ever put one on with this engine, or are you just bypassing this step? NOt rying to be rude, but you dont have one on, and it does help.

yes, for the pics. I did have a makeshift shroud on there, but I am looking more for eletrical fan options. however, i am also looking for extra options to help cool the most efficiently as possible.

ashmanjeepxj said:
Do you have an automatic that could be heating it up?
Are you running the AC and heating it up?

Yes, I've got an automatic, has a trans cooler, and a powersteering cooler as well. I WISH! i had A/C... its been converted to OBA..

ImGonnaSnap said:
Yes, I've got an automatic, has a trans cooler, and a powersteering cooler as well. I WISH! i had A/C... its been converted to OBA..

Is the trans cooler built into your Radiator? Id suggest making them seprate radiators, even reloace the tranny cooler and put an electric fan on it if needed.

A bad automatic can cause the heating you dont like.. Adding a higher stall Torque converter will make it worse.

Back