• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AT Fluid?

the newer ones do call for atf+3 i don't know abot the older ones though always used dex III in mine

dirt714 said:
the newer ones do call for atf+3 i don't know abot the older ones though always used dex III in mine
ATF+3? Got reference for that? The tranny is the same AW-4 throughout...and calls for Dex-II and/or Dex-III

ATF+3 use is typically from untrained/uncaring dealer techs who use that in all the Chrysler trannies and think the Jeep AW-4 is one as well.

carnuck said:
AW4 gets Dex2/3 and the Grand Cherokees (post 93.5) use ATF+3.
Could that be because the Grand Cherokees use a Chrysler tranny and not a Toyota tranny like the AW-4??? ??? ???

aw4_drain.jpg

I wonder what type of fluid I should put in this tranny? Bueller? Bueller?

Unless the mfr says the fluid meets the requirements for both flavors, I'd stick with the Dexron in an AW4, and the 7176 or ATF+whatever in a Chrysler-built box like the ones in the Grand. There are other threads about not adding ATF+3 to a transmission running ATF+4, so I won't go into that.

Soapbox time about using synthetics in an AW4: I've used nothing but Mobil1 or Amsoil synthetic ATF in my 99 since I did the first change at 12,000. I've had no problems in 130,000 miles with synth ATF.

Back