• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Header & Cat ???

Jeff-97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My 97 XJ has a cracked manifold and Cat that is starting to rattle on my 4.0.

I understand that these 2 parts need to be replaced. Other than that, all the cheap parts of my exhaust sytem are fine and do not need to be replaced.

I am considering a Banks TT header.
Any thoughts about this?

Also, I was recommended to buy a CarSound Catalytic converter #23226 which is a direct fit Cat.

Is anyone knowledgeable enough to know if this is a good comination. I do not want to put anything downstream of the Header that would be detrimental to the benefit of getting the header in the first place.

I understand that I do not want to restrict airflow, but I don't want to go overboard with this decision. Just a good match.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff-97XJ

Jeff-97XJ said:
My 97 XJ has a cracked manifold and Cat that is starting to rattle on my 4.0.

I understand that these 2 parts need to be replaced. Other than that, all the cheap parts of my exhaust sytem are fine and do not need to be replaced.

I am considering a Banks TT header.
Any thoughts about this?

Also, I was recommended to buy a CarSound Catalytic converter #23226 which is a direct fit Cat.

Is anyone knowledgeable enough to know if this is a good comination. I do not want to put anything downstream of the Header that would be detrimental to the benefit of getting the header in the first place.

I understand that I do not want to restrict airflow, but I don't want to go overboard with this decision. Just a good match.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff-97XJ

Hi Jeff,

I installed a Banks Torque Tube on my 2000 about a month ago. I had a bad exhaust gasket, but decided to "upgrade" to the header while I was at it. I found the best price at Quadratec. I am not sure how the install will go for your 97, but it was painful on the 2000. Luckily, I had 2 great guys helping (doing most of the work). I do like the header, but I did not notice much difference in power or sound. I have a Dynomax muffler that I noticed a difference with that was installed last year. I am running factory CATS.

I don't know if this helps you are not.

Good luck!

Robert

91 Jeep Project said:
You won't get much benefit from the header if your just dumping it into the stock exhaust......... :lecture:

I will be buying and installing a header, since my Exhaust manifold is cracked.

Once I put the header on, what is the next thing I should consider downstream?
The downtube/crosspiece?
Catalytic converter?
Muffler?
Tailpipe?

With a stock 4.0L engine, is the 2 1/4" tubing enough all the way through?
I know that backpressure needs to be in the system but don't know how much or where is the optimum place for it.

I need to make a purchase but am having trouble knowing all the answers.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff-97XJ

I pieced together my exhaust system, started with a Flowmaster 2 1/4" 3 chamber, Rusty's tailpipe, then replaced the stock manifold with the cheapest header I could find from Summit. After that failed, I had a stainless Gibson put on, then a hi-flow cat, then finally the downpipe between the two. I am now running 2 1/2" all the way and it definitely makes a difference. I am also running a foam element air intake which helps too. You won't really notice much difference in performance unless you are running a larger exhaust all the way back. Having said that, I have a recurring leak at the header/downpipe flange that I can't seem to stop. If you get a performance muffler, keep in mind that the noise will be transmitted into the cab so you should decide how much drone you can deal with. I replaced my old flowmaster with one of their new SUV models, which keeps drone to a minimum while still allowing for performance and a decent exhaust note. If it wasn't a daily driver I probably would go as loud as I could, but shouting over the old muffler on long trips grew tiresome. You might want to do a search for go-jeep or Dr. Dyno since they have extensively covered this issue as well.

XJFREK said:
I pieced together my exhaust system, started with a Flowmaster 2 1/4" 3 chamber, Rusty's tailpipe, then replaced the stock manifold with the cheapest header I could find from Summit. After that failed, I had a stainless Gibson put on, then a hi-flow cat, then finally the downpipe between the two. I am now running 2 1/2" all the way and it definitely makes a difference. I am also running a foam element air intake which helps too. You won't really notice much difference in performance unless you are running a larger exhaust all the way back. Having said that, I have a recurring leak at the header/downpipe flange that I can't seem to stop. If you get a performance muffler, keep in mind that the noise will be transmitted into the cab so you should decide how much drone you can deal with. I replaced my old flowmaster with one of their new SUV models, which keeps drone to a minimum while still allowing for performance and a decent exhaust note. If it wasn't a daily driver I probably would go as loud as I could, but shouting over the old muffler on long trips grew tiresome. You might want to do a search for go-jeep or Dr. Dyno since they have extensively covered this issue as well.

Thanks for all the info. Do you remember which high flow cat you got? I was told that the CarSound #23226 is a high flow but I can't seem to confirm this. Any suggesitions for the cat?

Thanks,
Jeff-97XJ

Unfortunately, I don't know who made the cat. When I realized that was the problem, I had trouble finding a local shop that even had a hi-flow cat, when I did, he never mentioned the manufacturer. If you haven't already, you might look up a local performance or speed shop, tell them what you are looking for, and see what they can get. Sorry I can't be of much help here, I'm about to go mess with my downpipe flange leak again, I'll see if there's any discernible markings on the cat.

Jeff-97XJ said:
I will be buying and installing a header, since my Exhaust manifold is cracked.

Once I put the header on, what is the next thing I should consider downstream?
The downtube/crosspiece?
Catalytic converter?
Muffler?
Tailpipe?

With a stock 4.0L engine, is the 2 1/4" tubing enough all the way through?
I know that backpressure needs to be in the system but don't know how much or where is the optimum place for it.

I need to make a purchase but am having trouble knowing all the answers.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff-97XJ

I have a 95xj with the 4.0 with borla header (i bought it when the banks was not out). I have a high flow cat, flowmaster 50 series (regular 50 not the delta flow which is the quieter ones) all going through 2 1/2 inch pipes.

If you go for the header get a high flow cat and an flowmaster or magnaflow muffler and 2 1/2" pipes.

Looks like you have a completely upgraded exhaust.
I might end up doing the same thing.
Does the term "high flow cat" mean the same thing to all people? Is there any numerical measurement that defines what high flow means? I am concerned that not all high flow are the same.
I'd like not to make any mistakes that rob me of power.

Thanks,
Jeff-97XJ

Jeff-97XJ said:
Looks like you have a completely upgraded exhaust.
I might end up doing the same thing.
Does the term "high flow cat" mean the same thing to all people? Is there any numerical measurement that defines what high flow means? I am concerned that not all high flow are the same.
I'd like not to make any mistakes that rob me of power.

Thanks,
Jeff-97XJ

hmm good question you could call the tech support guys at the respective manufacturers I simply got mine out of summit or jegs I forget. I wanted a higher quality one than the shit steel ones they sell at the local auto parts (pep boys, auto zone etc) I didn’t pursue the specs to any great degree just got a magnaflow one and figured they wouldn’t do me wrong, ANYTHING was better than my clogged up stock one. If you never saw the inside of a cat it’s just a honey comb with platinum dust on it that gets HELLA hot to burn off waste gas .... so i am not sure there is A HUGE difference. I just did not want a el cheapo P.O.S. I am not a exhaust guru but if you run a conventional fiber matt muffler and not something open like a flowmaster any gains you could consiveably make in one "high flow" cat versus another cat would be negated by your less than ideal flow muffler. So don’t sweat the cat to much.

Back