• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch fan shot??

ARBOGASTER

NAXJA Forum User
Ive been noticing some low speed overheating problems now that it has been hot outside regularly. I checked the fan clutch with the engine off while the engine was well over 220 degrees and the clutch seemed to spin very freely. I even went so far as to fire the engine back up and stick an old shoe into the fan to slow it down. ( yeah I know pretty stupid) The funny thing is I was able to easily stop the fan and hold it and felt very little resistance. Is this thing shot or do I need to do some more scientific testing. Better yet what is the current school of thought on replacement. Do I go new electric replacement or stick with the clutch fan. Does Autism zone or Advanced Auto parts Napa or other carry a quality clutch fan???

It definitely sounds like you need a new fan clutch. I've heard of some people having fitment issues using aftermarket fan clutches, but I have no personal experience with them except for the Carquest brand. That being said, do not get the Carquest brand. It may fit, but they have a very high failure rate. I went through two defective ones before I finally got fed up and got another OEM one. I keep hearing that this is very common with the Carquest brand fan clutch. The OEM one was $108 at my local dealership, but it cools 10X better than the POS Carquest ones did. The Carquest ones werent cheap either, it was right at $70. Sometimes OEM is best, this is one of those cases.

I keep hearing that there is an A/C Delco model (15-80287) that fits that works well but i think you have to play with it to get it to fit on there.

Edit: Also check to make sure that your electric fan is coming on when it should. :D

Last edited:
I got my 95s from autozone, made a huge difference. According to the specs at idle its always engaged which suits me fine. I never see over 210 now even idling on a 100 + day in traffic. I had no fit probs or mileage loss from engagement.

Just got a Hayden part #2625 for my 95. I was told they are a good brand do to the fact they make parts for RV's and usually pretty heavy duty stuff. The thing is, even though I replaced it I am still having the same issues. Temps rise seemingly quick in traffic and stop lights, etc. Then I have to shut off A/C, and sweat till I get moving again. What should I look at next.

Thanks,
Silent

Back