• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drain plug in diff housing??

MudDawg

NAXJA Member #728
I have my D35 down for maintenance....I am toying around with the idea of drilling and tapping a 1/4" pipe thread hole in the bottom of the diff housing to drain the fluid after my weekly mud immersion...It's a pain to pull the diff cover every sunday morning to change the lube.

Any Input???

MudDawg said:
I have my D35 down for maintenance....I am toying around with the idea of drilling and tapping a 1/4" pipe thread hole in the bottom of the diff housing to drain the fluid after my weekly mud immersion...It's a pain to pull the diff cover every sunday morning to change the lube.

Any Input???
If you do it, make it so that either the plug or threads don't get damaged on a rock. Or..... make sure that your diff is sealed well enough that you don't have to drain it every time and only you need to pop the fill plug and see how well the oil looks and if there are any contaminants.

I would rig a CO2 bottle with a regulator and a electrically operated solenoid. When you get ready to hit the water or mud, put a 1psi positive pressure in the housing. Presto, no mud and no water. It would even force a touch of lubrication into the seals to keep out any grit.

In my mud truck, I put like a quarter inch self taping bolt near the bottom of the cover. Composit washer. I could let it sit over night (or a couple of days) and drain a small glass full of oil, looking for water. No water no problem. Just got to be carefull not to over tighten it. Saves a lot of oil.

I welded a bung to the bottom of the cover for the front diff with a plug in it...but the rear cover is lighter gauge...I found a spare cover, and I will try it for the rear too...No fear of rocks here...there aren't any :laugh3:

Back