• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTF Happend to my LEAF PACK (Picture)

fdsa487

NAXJA Forum User
Ok seriously i have not had time to look at it yet... WTF happend to my rear tire... check out the picture. Has this ever happened to you? What broke? How do i fix it and how much is it going to cost? BTW this happened on the street, just driving home from a friends. How do i fix it.

Why.bmp

autozone has em. theyre on the HELP! aisle in the "undercar" section. couple different sizes.

if your U bolts loosened up it could have just slid off the centering pin.

Oh!!...
I just thought you had installed a XJ-5150 Hydraulic wheel base decreaser.
:)

Yeah it's prolly the center pin.

Jeepin Jason said:
Or get an allen-head bolt.

DING DING DING DING DING

We have a winna!!!

Lowes, HD, Ace/True Value

my center pins are grade 8 hex heads ground into a circle...

For safety sake, please use an adequate bolt there. Autozone has them. If the bolt gives at high speed on the highway you could wake up dead.

old_man said:
For safety sake, please use an adequate bolt there. Autozone has them. If the bolt gives at high speed on the highway you could wake up dead.

I would NOT want to wake up dead :laugh3: .... It off to Autozone after work... HEY can i install this center pin w/o having to take the leaf pack off? Do i have to take the tire off? What is the easiest way to do it?

fdsa487 said:
I would NOT want to wake up dead :laugh3: .... It off to Autozone after work... HEY can i install this center pin w/o having to take the leaf pack off? Do i have to take the tire off? What is the easiest way to do it?

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50083

More or less covers how to take a leaf pack apart and put it together, and will cover the center pin.

It's probably best to remove the pack from the vehicle, but I guess it may not be necessary. Just clamp the pack together good and tight before you start to unbolt the old pin, and watch your hands.

The leaf spring center pin on an XJ is 5/16".
If you're going to use a non-autoparts store bolt (like hardware store grade-a), make sure the threads go down the bolt far enough to get the leaves tightly clamped together.

Quick note:
If you're running shims on the leaf pack over the axle, the head of the center pin doesn't always go deep enough into the spring perch to hold on. If your ubolts were a little loose it could have jumped from the perch and this is what you ended up with.

If you don't have shims, it's probably a broken center pin.

Back