• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

custom roof rack plans?

If you can weld and have a measuring tape, I wouldn't think you would need actual plans. There are thousands of photos out there for ideas. Figure out what you want and then draw it out. If you really want a design schematic, I can email you the one I drew up for mine...

well don't get me wrong i could draw out some plans but i am kind of on a time dead line. i am going back to school here in about 4 weeks and i am in the process of fabing up my own rockrails. so i thought i would just use someone elses plans.

email: [email protected]

4 weeks to go and you don't think you have enough time? Working by yourself with no plans you should be able to build one in a day. I don't think you really need plans for something pretty simple as a rack, just a tape measure and a scratch pad.

rack1.jpg

rack2.jpg

Hope that helps.

Fergie

no offense but being a 20 year college student that just taught himself how to weld and making stuff out of steel is very new to him...yeah it is going to take me longer than a day. i mean my rockrails aren't done yet and i have been working on them for about 10 hours or so. its just trial and error that is how i learn. however, i need to get the roof rack done as soon as possible so it would be easier to see the measurements people used and what size steel and thicknesses and so forth. thanks

Dude, that rack was my first project ever, and it only took about a long weekend to finish it.

I used .75" square tube with .065 wall. The thing is 55" wide and about 75" long. The angles up front were done by eye, and the bottom was matched.

Use your noggin and mess around with it, otherwise, go buy a Surco.

Fergie

Fergie,
Whos gutter mounts are you using?? Are they lockable?

Thanks
Tim D

Bought them from some outdoors shop online.

They had them on sale for $15 for a set of four, and I bought two sets. They usually run $80 or more a set.

Fergie

since the thule gutter mounts use a square mounting system should i go with them instead. since i decided i will go with the 3/4" sqquare tubing for the frame of the rack.

Back