• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loss in power

Jeepkid8037

NAXJA Forum User
Ever since i got water in the motor and had to remove the spark plugs to let it out, it seems like my jeep has a LOT less power than it used to. It now struggles up hills on the freeway, and definately has a loss in acceleration. It still runs great, starts everytime and the temp stays around 210 w/o the ac on. Its been a good 500+ miles since this happened.

Problems:

-Water in motor 500+ miles ago

-no O2 sensor-its screwed in but wires got ripped out.

-PS pump is shot (not sure if that has any effect, assuming not)

-It also sounds almost like a gokart right now, but i thing that is becuase of
an exhaust leak behind/infront of the muffler.

Any ideas? is my motor shot?

Specs:
93 xj-70k on rebuilt HO 4.0
4.10's 33" tsls

Jeepkid8037 said:
-Water in motor 500+ miles ago

I have heard that this can break piston shafts and other things.
Are you sure that everything is okay inside the motor?
If it was salt water, you may have more serious problems.
Have a mechanic look at it.

Jeepkid8037 said:

From what I have been told by others on this forum, not having a working O2 sensor will cause the engine to run rough and get really lousy fuel economy.
When my O2 sensor died on my old Ford Taurus, the car would shut down when it got warmed up, and wouldn't start again. I would recommend getting this part replaced.

I don't know what to tell you about the PS and exhaust, as I don't have enough experience with it.
Good luck.

Jeepkid8037 said:
Your PCM needs input from the O2 sensor for the motor to run correctly. Without it, it will run very rich (poor mileage) and could be the cause of the loss of power. Fix it now or you could burn up your catalytic converter. This is, of course, assuming that there is no internal mechanical damage from the water.

K

Back