• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to do first?

NOVAggie

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I jsut got my Jeep home today.

1990 2dr 4.0 auto (not sure which axles or tcase)

I was wondering what all I should do to get this thing up to date, running condition etc. It starts up but runs a little rough. I know it needs a new muffler and brakes. WHat about fluids adn anything else I need to check on?

It has about 145K adn I believe has been sitting in used auto lot for a year or two.

Also teh driver floor board is rusted out, I guess I will pull all my carpet out and plate it.

Thanks

Because of the rust, I would start there. XJ's are uni-body which means no frame. The front axels are tied on just below the rust hole so take a real close look under there.

I usually clean the motor up good and the undercarriage. Got to be a little carefull washing the motor, water gets into something critical and your already in trouble, like The TPS, CPS, distributor or something.
Find the leaks.
I usually print out a service table, so I have a check list.
Pull the drums, then the front wheels, do a brake inspection. Look behind the dust covers on rear wheel cylinders. Look at the brake system, rubber lines ad hard lines for rot. I usually wash the rear brakes (the whole works) out with a weak soap solution (baby bottle brush works well), rinse with really hot water (twice a year).
While I have the fronts up, I try to do as much as I can.
Anything oil, thats not seriously leaking and looks dirty gets changed, little seeps can wait. Draining the motor, tranny and transfer, works best, with the oils warm and the front end jacked up. Lower before filling.
I check the ball joints for play and the hubs. Grease the front end, wipe the extra grease off of the cups. Check all front end parts for play, special attention to the top trac bar joint.
Whole bunch of stuff to look at and check, I have a tendancy to do it in bite sized pieces. If you´ve gotten this far, bump this post to the top and I´ll give you another weekends work. :laugh3:

Whole lot of stuff, you ought to at least take a look at.

But stopping and steering are right there at the top of the list. With a new to me XJ, you really have to find out first, where you stand. If you ever plan on trusting it, for more than a few miles from home.

Thsi thing has an aftermarket APC steering wheel, adn with teh seat all the way back i feel like the wheel is still in my face. is this normal??

The steering wheel most have some dish in it, XJ steering wheels are pretty flat.

Back