• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Year comparison

cykaaro

NAXJA Forum User
This is probably a overly simple question, but just want to make sure. I just recently got a '89 Laredo [gotta love that as a BD gift!!] But it has some issues, namely the steering column wiring, and turn signals.
I've got the 88FSM, so it shoudl be virtually the same, but just to make sure, what are the difference, if any are there between an '88 and an '89?

TIA

Pretty much identical.

Heck, I've seen wiring color changes within the same year.

Thanks! I'm prett used to doing my '90 now, but just trying to make sure where I stand with my '89. While I think of it, did the '89's have daylight running lights like the '90 did?

Was just out fixing a lighting issue with mine [burnt out light in the dash] so was taking a look at it and the issues with it. Seems both front door swtiches are pooched so they'll have to be switched out. The 'you left your lights on' buzzer doesn't kick in like it should. I'm figuring that it's also related to the switch.

The biggest problem seems to be so far, is the steering column. I thought it was swtiched out, but unsure of that now, but either way I'm looking at replacing it.[the cruise/signal stick has been changed at the very least and there are cut wires at the base of it] If I move the key a bit forward, or a bit backward, the wipers, radio and blower work. If just left in it's usual they all go off.
The other main problem I'm trying to figure out right now is the signals don't work at all. The hazards work fine, and it's not the flasher at all. I'm thinking it's link to the wiring problem in the column, although I can't get them to work at all. Am I headed in the right direction, or is there something else I should check that I'm overlooking?

Flasher sounds bad for the signals. They use the same wiring as the hazards, so if those work (outside) then it's a flasher issue. The screws come loose in the tilt columns. I bought a flexydriver to do mine with (haven't seen it since my son borrowed it to fix his wife's rig)

carnuck said:
Flasher sounds bad for the signals. They use the same wiring as the hazards, so if those work (outside) then it's a flasher issue. The screws come loose in the tilt columns. I bought a flexydriver to do mine with (haven't seen it since my son borrowed it to fix his wife's rig)

I"ve switched them around, and both flashers will work. Haven't tried my good electronic ones from my '90., but being total stock right now, shouldn't make a difference at all though I'd think.

I've heard that about the tilt, but there's something screwy wire wise in the ignition although putting to acc. seems to be marginally better I've noticed, and the wire for the cruise seems to be there, but cut at the column. Something has definitely been changed. Just went out and tried the electronic flasher. Same thing. Hazards work perfectly, turn signals, nada. Neither inside or outside lights come on what so ever.

Probably the wiring in the column then. You can test it by hooking up another w/o taking the column apart. (just unplug it above the brake pedal. Same way I test the ignition switch)

I can get a whole new column from the wreckers for $50 so thinking of just doing that and switch them. keeping the one in it now for parts or such. As it is, it's got the wrong stick in it now for the cruise control but There are wires that have been cut sitting there which I figure are for just that.

Back