• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 TC Chain?

ChuckD

NAXJA Forum User
When out at the Con this weekend, the XJ wasn't working as well as it has in the past. It's a 93' , 140-150k with a MT and an NP231 with the slip yoke.

Symptoms:
The front tires are not really keeping up with the rear and it causes a very bucky ride. It like surges, it gets better if I shift into say second or third, but then I loose torque. I do hear some clicking too.

Let me know if you agree? I think it's a loose chain, so when I do my AA SYE, I'm also going to change the chain. Anyone know the best place to get a new chain and also can I put in a heavier duty one?

Thanks,

Don't know the best place to get a chain, but it does sound like a reasonable diagnosis. I believe the 231 chain is a 1" and that there is a 1.5" chain you can upgrade to (along with upgrading the sprockets, natch). There are companies specializing in transfer cases. Don't have any bookmarked for ya, but I found several awhile ago just with the help of our old pal, Google.

If you're going to upgrade, I'm pretty sure that what you want/need is the 231D (for Dodge) sprocket and chain set. Supposedly, nothing else needs to be changed.

JB Conversions, National Drivetrain, etc.

Call........

4X Heaven in Gloversville, NY. Always totally helpful and service is as good as can get. The guy knows his stuff and has been totally right-on-the-money on every xfercase i have needed help and parts for. Sorry i do not have any contact info.

Back