• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Instrument panel fuse or not?

ChandlerXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Tonight, i turned on my head lights by pulling out the switch, and the headlights turned on but not the instrument lights, all the other lights work, except my gauges, my shift indicator, my 4wd selector and the a/c panel. i checked the fuse and it was blown, i doubt it's the switch, because it still turns the lights on and still turns on the interior dome lights when turned all the way. i put in a 10 amp fuse, instead of the 5, by accident, because there wasn't a spare 5, the 10 blew too... if this isn't fixed with a new 5 amp fuse, where can i find the grounds for these lights? i have a 97XJ if it matters

My 91 is doing the same thing. Might be the switch, I had an old Nova (78) that did it too. The switch was bad on the part that dim's the dash lights.

Depending on the manufacturer,the part of the switch that dims/brightens the inst panel lights can either a coiled wire/spring or a beefier design that uses a wheel type conductor.
The wire/spring type will die faster than the other due to heat,expansion/contraction.
I've had to replace 2 switches due to the coil /spring set up..last one has the wheel type...so far so good

That was happening to mine. The cause was the headlight switch, its the pull type that turning the know also dims the instrument panel and turns on the interior lights. Very universal part, it has a button on the top to remove the know and its held on by this nut way up in there. Maybe its different in your model.

Back