• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What should stock oil pressure be?

Bluexj96

NAXJA Forum User
I did the cluster swap a few weeks go and since then been wacthing my oil pressure. It seems to have droped today and be down a little oil. What should it be at idle?

Thanks Chris

Mininmum at an idle spec is 13psi.

Mines like 30 ish I thought I saw it closer to 40 before then tonight its down to 30. I did oil change almost 1000 miles ago mobil 5000 oil and fram fliter.

Would this cuase it to be that high. When driving it never goes past 45 50

mikejwil said:
According to 93 FSM...37psi at warm idle.
I think you misread.

AMC's oil pressure spec for this family of engines hasn't changed since 1964. 13 psi minimum at warm idle, 37 to 75 above 1600 RPM.

Most XJs with the 4.0L seem to idle at around 20 to 25, and run at 50 to 55 psi at legal highway speeds. With 10W40 and 175,000 miles my '88 was down to around 40 on the highway. I changed to synthetic in 5W50 and it's back up to 45-50. The gauge isn't accurate anyway, so I regard it almost like a GO-NO GO indicator. As long as I'm showing something within spec, I keep driving.

Back