• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Kinked transmission line

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I was servicing my transmission yesterday and I accidently kinked the line that screws into the radiator, by the aux. fan.

The line didnt break, and seems to work fine, but it's pretty bent. I went to the dealer and bought a new one today for only $10.00.

My question is, how do I seperate the hard line from the soft line? The metal piece connects to a rubber hose in front of the water pump. Any tips or tricks for taking these a part?

It's on a '96 AW4

Thanks

Does it look like this

temp.jpg

Thayer said:
Does it look like this

temp.jpg

No, but pretty similar. The metal line is longer, and it appears to have a different type of fitting where it mates to the hose. The one I have has a little lip about an inch or two from the end of it.

I would say take that hard line back to the dealer and get your money back. Then make up a pair of quality hydraulic flex lines, or have them made after you get the necessary dimensions, and just install an aftermarket tranny cooler. They are a lot more efficient and come in many different sizes and are very easy to install. Then just cap the spouts on the radiator. My .02

Nope mine has a line that unscrews below the radiator cap and then bends around the aux fan and meets the soft line somewhere in front of the water pump. I need to figure out how to seperate these two.

The metal line is a bit over a foot long.

But another person in that thread described the line I was talking about as a push-on connection. Does that mean it'll pull off too?

They're called "Quick connects"
Coming from th radiator,you will see a plastic fitting w/2 "ears"sticking out(this is on the tube at the radiator)
With 1 hand,sqeeze the 2 "ears"use the other hand and pull toward the rear of the vehicle...Should come right off

Not sure if an 89' and a 90' are the same but most all have the "Quick Connects" and they bcically work the same way.
See if this helps any
temp6xa.jpg

Red is the line to the trans
Blue circle shows the "QUICK DISCO"

There may or may not be some o rings with the disconnect

Thanks guys. Will I be able to reuse the quick connect pieces? The metal line I got from the dealer does not have the piece with the two tabs on it. Just has a little lip near the end.

Quick disconnect my ass!!! My '98 does not have the little plastic pieces coming out of the fitting, so there's nothing to grab onto. It doesn't look like they're broken off either. Any suggestions other than cutting it and replacing it with a rubber hose & hose clamp?

They might be kinda short and you'd need the funky fuel-line disconnect tool. Me, I'm cheap and I'm probably just cut and use a hose clamp.

Hose clamp it. I used tranny line hose and hose clamps on my aux. cooler over a year ago and havent had a problem yet. If you are worried, take a flaring tool to the line and flare it just a little bit and hose clamp it.

Quick disconnect my ass!!! My '98 does not have the little plastic pieces coming out of the fitting, so there's nothing to grab onto. It doesn't look like they're broken off either. Any suggestions other than cutting it and replacing it with a rubber hose & hose clamp?

Late models dont have the external tabs,you just need the release tools availabe at most part stores.

Back