• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swaybar disconnect

knowlt said:
What's the tool/method of choice for disconnecting the top swaybar connection?

Been a while since I took mine off but you should be able to get the top nut off with an open end wrench. I don't know if your year would be different but that is how mine is and mine is an 85. I took off my sway bar, brackets, and the connecting arms also. I only wheel with my jeep so I just took off my sway bar entirely. Not much difference on the road.

Kim.

I've been running without any sway bars for a few months now. some body roll on the road but not to bad once your used to it

jeepinandy said:
I've been running without any sway bars for a few months now. some body roll on the road but not to bad once your used to it
You get used to it till you have to evade suddendly something! I know there are a few here who have been driving around without swaybar in the front on the freeway, but in an emergency you'll regret not having it.

knowlt said:
What's the tool/method of choice for disconnecting the top swaybar connection?
If you wanna make a simple disconnect at home, remove the nut on the tup, put on a wingnut and then drill through the swaybar link to slide a cotter pin or something like that.

Kejtar said:
You get used to it till you have to evade suddendly something! I know there are a few here who have been driving around without swaybar in the front on the freeway, but in an emergency you'll regret not having it.
]

X10!

I agree here. Highway driving and no sway bar is risky but can be done. If your jeep is for both on and offroad uses than I would go with Kejtar on making your own disconnects.

Kim.

c2553133.jpg

Just use a ton of penetrating oil or you risk snapping off the stud at the top of the link.

Obviously driving at hwy speeds with no swaybar can get hairy, but would it be an issue if the Jeep is being flat-towed?

Kejtar said:
If you wanna make a simple disconnect at home, remove the nut on the tup, put on a wingnut and then drill through the swaybar link to slide a cotter pin or something like that.

Quick question for you - I've been looking into doing this per the Cherokee America writeup here - do you happen to know anywhere in the area that carries the necessary hardware? Home Despot & co. are useless for this, and I don't know what to look for when it comes to this stuff on Google.

casm said:
Quick question for you - I've been looking into doing this per the Cherokee America writeup here - do you happen to know anywhere in the area that carries the necessary hardware? Home Despot & co. are useless for this, and I don't know what to look for when it comes to this stuff on Google.

Any local hardware store will have these items. It is easy to do.

Kim.

casm said:
Actually I'd leave the lower piece in the bracket as the lower piece sin the newer xjs are splined and pressed in. So that leaves you with needing 4 wingnuts and 2 washers and 4 pins which are easily obtainable from home depot, lowes, osh.

casm said:

I've bought the parts at both Lowes and Tractor Supply before.

casm said:

a little afr from home but if you know what you need.....these guys are good...

http://www.tacomascrew.com/

my source for all my nut and bolt needs.

Back