• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'90 xj 4L -- On my way to work this morning...

Kreutz

NAXJA Forum User
I was coming off a ramp from the interstate cornering hard, and all of a sudden, the engine cut out. It sounded like it backfired, and then it took right off. It's never done this before. :dunno: Any suggestions on where to start looking for the problem? The map sensor, EGR, Tps or could it be the fuel injectors? Thanks!

Kreutz said:
I was coming off a ramp from the interstate cornering hard, and all of a sudden, the engine cut out. It sounded like it backfired, and then it took right off. It's never done this before. :dunno: Any suggestions on where to start looking for the problem? The map sensor, EGR, Tps or could it be the fuel injectors? Thanks!
You gotta fill the tank up more often :D This sounds how my XJ behaves when I have about 1/4 tank or less (sometimes if it's a fast/sharp turn being under 1/2 might even do that)

You know, it is around a 1/2 full (or empty). Never thought of that. :doh: I'll fill it up after work, and see if it does it again. Thanks!

Kejtar said:
You gotta fill the tank up more often :D This sounds how my XJ behaves when I have about 1/4 tank or less (sometimes if it's a fast/sharp turn being under 1/2 might even do that)

Agreed, if you were at all low on fuel I wouldn't worry at all. XJ's seem to be real bad for the fuel sloshing away from the pick-up under hard cornering.

Actually this is pretty handy on an XJ with a malfunctioning fuel guage.
I have a sharp turn out of my neighborhood, and if my XJ does this, I know I need gas again!

Back