• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bilstein shock question

Roxtar

NAXJA Forum User
I'm about to order 5150s for the front and was looking for help.
Bilstein offers these in either the 255/70 valving for street and trail applications or the 170/60 valving which they recommend for off road only.
Anyone have experience with either of these choices.

I like the 275/78 valving in my 7100s. Great while crawling and through the high speed stuff but on the highway the rebound damping is too light.
I got the 255/70s for the back but have yet to install them.

Yes, 255/70 valving in the front seem to work well both on the street and offroad. I have seen no info on how the 170/60's work in either the front or the rear.

A.

BrettM said:
my understanding is the 170/60s are for dual shock applications.... :dunno:
That's what Rusty's told me whenever I bought mine from him. Get the higher valving so you don't have too cushy of a ride.

I am running the 255/70 valving in my 7100's front and rear and I am very happy with it so far.

I'm running the 12" 5125s in 255/70 up front with leaf springs, they are great though I'm only comparing to crappy twin-tube shocks, these are the only monotubes I've ever run.

I bought some 5125s in the 14" 255/70 variety for the rear of my truck, they will go on when I link it, though I have very little weight back there so I will probably angle the shocks pretty good to lower the effective dampning.

BrettM said:
my understanding is the 170/60s are for dual shock applications.... :dunno:

Keeeeeerect. Two lighter valved shocks do what a heavier valved one does in the damping sense...but divides the friction over a greater surface area. When shocks get hot they're less effective. :)

hmm

here is a thread with actual tech value that matters to me...

i had the same question...

i guess when you comment all the time and read just about every post - there is no need for searches...

i concur

TheFortuneAteMySon said:
CarX is having a tire and strut sale, according to the phone monkey.
Is this information helpful in any way?
Seacrest out.
Just got it back from CarX.
Told them, "The exhaust starts here and ends back there, you figure it out."

David Tucker said:
I am running the 255/70 valving in my 7100's front and rear and I am very happy with it so far.

Are you running schrader valve or remote resevour ?

Last edited:
i recently installed the heavier valved 5150's(255/70) on the rear, and they perform very well. i still have some monotubes up front, and they have a very similar feel. i will be ordering the same for the front in the next month or so.

In response to Jeepme's question - I am running 12" short body remote resevoirs all around. The rear ones are run through the floor.

Last edited:
Back