• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Superior Super 44 Kit?? Any feedback??

1toughxj

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up a Dana 44 out of an 87 XJ this weekend from the local u-pull it and was considering setting it up with this Superior kit. Just wanted to see if anyone had any feedback on the kit with the 33 spline Detroit and alloy axles. For about $1000 it seems to be a good value. I have a 6" Full Traction kit with 33's currently and was going to set it up with 4.88's. I have plans on going to 35's at some point. I also have a HP44 going in the front once I can get it narrowed and setup with the appropriate bracketry. Just wanted to get some info on the Super 44 kit before I invest in it.

Ben
2001 XJ Sport

That sure would make for a bulletproof setup on 35s. Many people just run the 30 spline Superior alloys with 35s and little-to-no problems. The one disadvantage to the 33 spline units is if somehow you manage to break one, you won't be able to borrow anyone else's spare.

No feedback here but something to think about....

I know the alloy axles are strong but what happens when you break a 33 spline axle shaft? Most are 30 spline so you would have to get a special one for a replacement.

just my .02

edit: too slow, brett beat me to it.

A good friend has this in his TJ, but with an ARB rather than a Detroit. The shafts are larger than the 30 spline (obviously), but they weren't as HUGE as the 30 vs. 33 spline debates would make them out to be. If you're going to drop the coin for lockers and alloy shafts, this seems to be a good choice for the price with a little added security.

My XJ has the 29 spline 8.25 underneath it currently, so I picked up the D44 with this super 44 kit in mind. I imagine if I would stick with the 30 spline in the D44, I might as well leave the 8.25 29 spline under the truck.

My turn... :D
The super 44 shafts are not that much larger? are you kidding me? :eek:
they are about 1/8" larger in diameter. thats 120% increase in material. understanding levers explains another strength increase. like choking up on a bat.
I just felt like doing the math...
now for my opinion. if you allready have a good D44 and you want to regear for 35's I don't think you need to spend the coin on the super kit. unless your hard on the stupid pedal in the wrong situations. if you don't have shafts in the 44 right now and you are going to need new shafts, then yes its worth the extra $200 for the super kit vs a regular detroit and superior shafts.
OEM D44 shafts should hold up pretty well on even 35"s unless your Psycho on the rocks.

is it worth the $$$. situation dependant answer. is a coin toss. if you have the money to spend, go for it. if budget is tight then stay where your at. there is no rule stating that you can swap in a super 44 later in life. detroits don't depreciate to quickly.

I'd grab up some spare 30 spline dana 44 shafts and just have some fun with your XJ. Look on ebay, here, Pirate etc. I had a set when I had a XJ 44 with 35's. On 33's or 35's you should be fine. It's not a bad idea going with the dana 44 like you did, even if you moved up from a 29 spline 8.25, you will not feel bad about spending the $ on gears, lockers, etc for it because you know you have a good axle with lots of aftermarket support and it is durable.

Troy

personaly - id ignore what everyone has to say about the 30 spline spares...

do you know ANY parts yard that would seperate an XJ d44 from its shafts with out ripping you a new one anyway?

how many people carry spare XJ D44 shafts that you wheel with?

it really isnt that common of a rear end - id say the most common non factory rear end is the 8.8.

its all up to you, but personaly - if i had the cash - id run the 40 spline shafts in my 9" if i could... even though im on 33's...

and BigRedTard - the 8.25 wasnt even in the discussion here, and wouldnt fit the bill based on the ABSENCE of 33 spline shafts or carrier for it...
what aftermarket support? all 1 lunchbox, 1 detroit, and 1 ARB for the "stronger" 29 spline unit? and 4.56 for 35's? maybe with the bling 241 that you have...
stop being such a fawktard...

go back to sacto Metro...

Rawbrown said:
OEM D44 shafts should hold up pretty well on even 35"s unless your Psycho on the rocks.
I'd disagree. I was twisting shafts like it was going out of style and I don't conisder myself heavy on the throttle. My rig is pretty heavy though. Another guy I wheel with was having the same problem.

One of the guys in our club put in the 30 spline superiors to match the bolt pattern on his front axle and gain some strength and he hasn't had any issues.

Mabe there's more of them around here but I can think of 5 or 6 guys off the top of my head that are running this axle. Actually, I think every XJ in our club is.

XJ_ranger said:
and BigRedTard - the 8.25 wasnt even in the discussion here, and wouldnt fit the bill based on the ABSENCE of 33 spline shafts or carrier for it...
what aftermarket support? all 1 lunchbox, 1 detroit, and 1 ARB for the "stronger" 29 spline unit? and 4.56 for 35's? maybe with the bling 241 that you have...
stop being such a fawktard...

go back to sacto Metro...

Yes, the 8.25 was in discussion here because that is what Ben currently has in his XJ, if you can read and understand that. You can get dana 44 shafts from places like ebay etc, I've seen them. You can also adapt TJ dana 44 shafts. Either way it's good to have spares if you can afford it and find them.

Stop the personal attacks and get back to growing corn in Nebraska ya incestial hick and put away your Power Rangers Dopie, you are a little too old for that don't you think???
And I am in the Sacramento metro area and proud of it. Have a nice day. :wave:

Last edited:
I think it only makes sense to go with the Super 44 kit after looking at the pricing. If I went the 30 spline route I am looking at $500 for the detroit, 300 for axles, 75 for a master install kit and 150 for the ring and pinion. Thats $1025 compared to $1100 for the Super 44 kit and the ring and pinion, which nets a difference of only $75. Seems to be a no-brainer. Also, it appears that the shafts that come with the Super 44 kit have a dual bolt pattern, I am assuming 5 on 4.5" and 5 on 5.5". That makes the transition to the bigger pattern a piece of cake when it comes time to match the front HP44.

1toughxj said:
I think it only makes sense to go with the Super 44 kit after looking at the pricing. If I went the 30 spline route I am looking at $500 for the detroit, 300 for axles, 75 for a master install kit and 150 for the ring and pinion. Thats $1025 compared to $1100 for the Super 44 kit and the ring and pinion, which nets a difference of only $75. Seems to be a no-brainer. Also, it appears that the shafts that come with the Super 44 kit have a dual bolt pattern, I am assuming 5 on 4.5" and 5 on 5.5". That makes the transition to the bigger pattern a piece of cake when it comes time to match the front HP44.

Sounds good. That should work out good for you. Cannot beat having that dual pattern too for when you want to step up to that hp44 up front.

FWIW, Superior's new 30-spline alloys are dual pattern as well. The 33-spl shafts are nie though. A friend of ours did a Super44 kit w/OX in his TJ aboot a year or so ago. Those shafts are beefy. With 33's or 35's, unless you're just absolutely stupid with the go-pedal, I'd say the 33-sp shafts would be pretty bullet proof.

I must add my 2 cents worth here. I ran with 30 spline stock shafts in my Grand Waggy rear for a fairly long time. I was too cheap to get alloy shafts and the stockers were working fine. However, when one stock shaft broke on me it took out part of my ARB, a carrier bearing, and the ring and pinion. I've probably got at least $800 in repairs utilizing custom Dutchman alloy shafts, a new Spicer 4.88 ring and pinion, a new part for the 30 spline ARB, new bearings and seals plus misc. costs...plus all my time to set it up a second time! I should have just done alloys in the beginning! I'm running 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern though, so using a super kit on a XJ 44 wasn't really an option. In hindsight, I probably should have found a XJ D44, installed a super 44 kit with an ARB and switched the front components to make the front 44 5 on 5.5. That way I would have had a more common rear axle with a fair amount of aftermarket support. I would have had to get different rims though. It's water over the bridge now, but if I were you, I would get the super 44 kit. Jeff

I forgot who makes it but someone makes a kit for D30s and I think 35's that lets you install 35 spline shafts. All you gotta to is swap the carrier and bearings.

Or you could just go with a Super 35 kit that comes with 30 spline shafts for a D35 and a ARB.

XJ4x4 said:
I forgot who makes it but someone makes a kit for D30s and I think 35's that lets you install 35 spline shafts. All you gotta to is swap the carrier and bearings.

Or you could just go with a Super 35 kit that comes with 30 spline shafts for a D35 and a ARB.

Way to stay on topic there, buddy.

Tri-County gear has a 35 spline setup available for a 44 now. Both full float and semi, with an ARB.

If I was building a rear 44, that's the way I would go.

CRASH

Back