• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

#%$&!?! Bolt won't come out of u joint strap

Mngreen

NAXJA Forum User
HELP...I was trying to take off my front driveshaft this afternoon, and was at the transfer case end where there are 4 bolts connecting the yoke to the output flange. I have always used an 8mm socket to take off the little suckers where the shaft yoke bolts to the differentials, but there is no room for a socket here. When I put an 8mm wrench on it, there is really too much play. I am scared of rounding off the bolt heads, as the wrench slipped when I tried it. A 7mm is too small and a 5/16 doesn't fit either. The 8mm socket (without the ratchet handle) fits pretty tight. Surely, someone has conquered this. I sprayed her down with PB Blaster before I crawled out. Looks like a booger to me--limited room, tiny bolts usually result in my breaking them off or something else just as bad. Any thoughts? Thanks as usual.

While I am at it, do I need a 30mm socket for the transfer case fill plug?

All mine (87-89 D30/D35) started off taking a 1/4" socket to remove a 1/4"-28 bolt. Those bolts are pretty tough - but use a six-point socket when you work on them, since those heads are so small.

I replaced them with 1/4"-28x1" socket head cap screws (they take a 1/4" hex key,) which relieves me of finding the room for external wrenching - makes it a little easier to handle.

Most SHCS that you'll get are rated SAE Grade 8 by default. If you have a local tractor supply house, that's really the best place to go. I checked a batch of local hardware store bolts last quarter in materials and processes, and I'm pretty happy with them. You can do better - but it takes some looking.

You might find it easier to use a wrench - but use a six-point, not a 12. You want the best grip you can get...

I strongly suggest that you replace the reduced-head capscrews with SHCS while you've got them out. Makes life a little easier next time. Hex heads are OK for the flange at the front output shaft of the transfer case - you don't have clearance over the head for the SHCS idea...

5-90

If they've been in there for a bit, it might take a little "impact therapy" and/or a torch with a VERY fine tip!

Impact therapy is, in this case, applying a little whacking using a hammer and punch - DIRECTLY upon the bolt head. Not the easiest thing to do, but can be done. I'd apply a little PB Blaster (or perhaps some Seafoam "Deep Creep" - saw the stuff recently...) from the backside first.

When breaking a bolt loose, it sometimes helps to tighten it just a little bit first - kinda gives you a "running start" when you try to go backwards.

If you end up using a torch, use one with the finest tip you can get your hands on, and try to heat the bolt head from the top centre. Don't change the colour of anything - if you get either end of the yoke too hot, you'll wreck the thing and need to replace it. Plan on losing the U-joint - even if you don't manage to overheat the thing, you'll cook the grease and have a contaminated joint.

Work carefully!

5-90

Back