• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Squeak after harmonic balancer replacement

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just had my harmonic balancer replaced yesterday(after I couldnt get the center bolt out myself) and now I have a squeak. Can anyone think what this would be from? I've tried different belt tensions but nothing will shut it up. Its not constant but just squeak squeak squeak, if I spray WD-40 on the belt it will shut it up temporarily.Will this go away over time or could it be from them forgetting to lube it before they put it on? Thanks for any help! 1990 4.0.
Collin

CollinM said:
Just had my harmonic balancer replaced yesterday(after I couldnt get the center bolt out myself) and now I have a squeak. Can anyone think what this would be from? I've tried different belt tensions but nothing will shut it up. Its not constant but just squeak squeak squeak, if I spray WD-40 on the belt it will shut it up temporarily.Will this go away over time or could it be from them forgetting to lube it before they put it on? Thanks for any help! 1990 4.0.
Collin
Did you replace the belt or re-use the old one?
The old one could be stretched on one side causing it to run off center and rub the new balancer.

Ummm... it just all of a sudden quit. It was squeaking, then I drove it on the highway for like 15 minutes and when I got home, it quit. I have no idea what it was, and I hope it doesnt come up again. BTW-I did reuse the old belt but its fairly new and not cracked. Thanks for the suggestions.

Back