• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveshaft Options

ARBOGASTER

NAXJA Forum User
I put a SYE on my 1996 and have moved my front shaft to the back. I am currently without a front shaft and need to remedy this problem. I have two bronco driveshafts with double cardan joints that I would like to use. The length looks like it would work. I think they are 1330 joints though instead of 1310. I was just going to put a 1310/1330 cross at the axle, It doesn't look like I could do that at the CV joint end though because I don't think it would bolt up to the yoke at the transfer case. Does anyone make a 1330 yoke for the NP231 either for the front stock output shaft or for the rear with the heavy duty spline from the SYE. I'd like to put a dual cv joint shaft on the front but that would require a 1330 pinion for the dana 30 as well as the transfer case. That would be the ideal setup though.

There has to be a pick and pull that would have an XJ front shaft. Just replace the u-joints.

Right?

HTH

Yeah, I picked up a front shaft for $25 at the local U Pull It. I was lucky and found it laying in the back of an XJ with the TC still so it only took a few minutes to get it. Didn't even have to get dirty.

I can get parts at dealer cost from a friend of mine who is a service manager at a Jeep dealer. I was more concerned with front shaft vibes and preventing them. From what I have read lately at 4.5" of lift on a 1996 I shouldn't have much to worry about. Ive got the high pinion so it shouldn't be too bad. Sounds like another stock front shaft is the way to go. At least that way I'm always packing a spare shaft for the ride home.

If you get any front shaft that isn't bent, you really shouldn't have a problem with vibes. I mean, if you get one from a yard, grease it up, replace any bad joints, and install it. That's what I did when I had to replace my front shaft, and I had no problem.

Back