• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big brakes : Clean sheet : Factory Parts

Root Moose

NAXJA Forum User
I want to get some "big" brakes under my 2001 while keeping the HP D30 (swapped in). I also want to get some form of high steer on the go.

I was thinking:

- WJ knuckles/brakes
- ZJ rear disks (WJ better solution?)

What I'm uncertain about:

- Which MC and booster do I need for a painless, mostly bolt on install?

- Can I use my stock (2001) MC/booster?

- Which setup reduces the variables for brake bias F/R? I'm interested in bolt on with no screwing around with a adjustable proportioning vavle if I can get away with it. I'm probably dreamin' in technicolor on this point.

I'm not interested in cutting/welding the brake rod or anything like that. If I need to do maintenance on the brakes at some point in the future I want to be able to buy an off-the-shelf part without screwing around.

Such a config exist?

My wrenching time is limited so I want to maximize my time for the "sexy, fun stuff". :D

T!

r@m

The 2001 MC/Booster should be the best - probably exactly same as ZJ. The 98 ZJ rear brakes should be bolt-on. The only difference might be the ZJ proportioning valve instead of the XJ. I adapted the ZJ disks to the D44 in the MJ but don't have booster or prop valve (strictly manual) so can't give you first hand info on the prop valve effect.

rsalemi said:
The 2001 MC/Booster should be the best - probably exactly same as ZJ. The 98 ZJ rear brakes should be bolt-on. The only difference might be the ZJ proportioning valve instead of the XJ. I adapted the ZJ disks to the D44 in the MJ but don't have booster or prop valve (strictly manual) so can't give you first hand info on the prop valve effect.

Thanks! Was beginning to wonde rif I had offended the XJ Dogs or something. :)

With the WJ twin pots work with the 01XJ (ZJ?) MC and booster?

r@m

Root Moose said:
Thanks! Was beginning to wonde rif I had offended the XJ Dogs or something. :)

With the WJ twin pots work with the 01XJ (ZJ?) MC and booster?

r@m
There is an article that MJR wrote about upgrading the d30 brakes. I thought it was @ off-road.com but i can't find it. Send him a message and he should be able to point you in the right direction.

rsalemi said:
The 98 ZJ rear brakes should be bolt-on. The only difference might be the ZJ proportioning valve instead of the XJ.

Not neccesarily. They should be bolt on "if" he has a 35. If it's an 8.25", its doable, but takes a small amount of modification. The 8.25 out of my xj now wears ZJ discs, underneath a ZJ. :) Modification was minimal. PM me if youve got an 8.25" and I can shoot you some conversion info, if you want.

I'm putting in a Scout 44, so I expect to have to do some mod/fab work with that. That is a one time deal so I'm ok with that.

Does anyone know if the WJ and ZJ rear disks the same?

r@m

Back