• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Having a lift put on.. am I over looking anything?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I know there have been a lot of these type of posts, so please bare with me. I have a '96 XJ AW4 with a 231 t case. I'm having a shop install a lift for me next week. Is there anything else I am over-looking?

I'll be going with a 5.5" lift and 32 or 33" Trxus MTs or ATs. My rear end is an 8.25 with the Dana 30 up front. I should be safe running these tires without upgrading the axels, shouldn't I?

They will be installing gears for me as well. I have been planning to go with 4.56, which if I am correct, paired with 33"s, should be pretty equivilant to the stock gears and tires....right?

I will be going with a LSD rear and selectable front. Is the Dana 30 worth the 1k for an ARB? I will not be going any bigger. Are there any upgrades for the Dana 30 to make it hold up better?

Of course, I'll be needing a slip-yoke eliminator.

Anything else need to be changed? Any specific steering upgrades I should do?

Thanks NAXJA

well your overlooking that it is extremely easy to put a lift on, all it takes is a some time. besides you'll learn so much more than if you just swipe a card. you might want ot consider a lock right for the front axle, its only 250 and you can do it yourself

Ramsey said:
well your overlooking that it is extremely easy to put a lift on, all it takes is a some time. besides you'll learn so much more than if you just swipe a card. you might want ot consider a lock right for the front axle, its only 250 and you can do it yourself

yeah its true...Ramsey only paid me $450.00 to help him with his junk. And I did his front diff.

Some quality time with the right tools, if you have them, is PRICELESS.

oh....and its AXLES.

red91inWA said:
yeah its true...Ramsey only paid me $450.00 to help him with his junk. And I did his front diff.

Some quality time with the right tools, if you have them, is PRICELESS.

oh....and its AXLES.
yeah but then you turned around and gave me 500 for...well we wont go there outside of the den

Ramsey said:
yeah but then you turned around and gave me 5.00 for...well we wont go there outside of the den

you forgot the most important thing.

I want a refund...you s_ _ k. and not in a good way.

HEY you suck'd my ...i dont know why you paid me for it, but i'm not one to complain

oh thop it

Don't waste your time with a LSD rear, go with a locker. You will be disappointed with the LSD compared to your locker up front. If you are going to be re-gearing anyway, you might as well go with a locker that will replace your carrier. You will need to get a different carrier for the dana 30 when you go to the 4.56s. ARBs are expensive and require plumbing of the air lines, compressor, etc... Go with detroits. Lunchbox lockers like the lock-rites are cheap, and easy to install without replacing your carrier, but you are going to be doing that anyway.

What lift are you putting on it. At 5.5" you should really be running drop brackets or long arms.

I'm thinking of going with Rubicon Express but I haven't settled on it for sure yet.

I chose a LSD for the rear since the Jeep will see a lot of snow and ice in the winter. A selectable front locker so I can use the 4x4 on icey roads, etc. This is why I don't want a lunch box type, or a locker in the rear, and if I lock the front, it'll be selectable or nothing.

Plus with an ARB I will then have OBA. I'll probably upgrade the air compressor as time goes on.

This Jeep gets driven an average of 100 miles a day. I want to do the lift correctly with quality parts.

Is there a cheaper option for fender flares other than Bushwackers?

90Pioneer said:
I will not be going any bigger. Are there any upgrades for the Dana 30 to make it hold up better?

That's a tough question to answer since 96 was the change-over year for the front axles. Some seem to be made with 297 u-joints and some still used the 260 u-joints. If your have the 260 u-joints a switch to new axles with 760 u-joints would be a good investment.

I think you would be most happy with the 4.56 gears with 33s and probably with 32s as well. I have 33s with 4.11s and I REALLY wish I had 4.56s. I too drive mine everyday and everywhere.

Seems like you have most all the bases covered. Nice selection of everything. HEY ALL, not everyone is a gear head and not everyone has the time, tools, location or expertise to install a lift themselves even with experienced help. It's good he's regearing with the 33's.

I WOULD make sure you have that adjustable trackbar and I'd upgrade the tie rod to a heavy duty one. You'll want to make sure your steering gear mounting is reinforced. (overlooked) If your front bumper doesn't extend to reinforce the 3 mounting bolts, I'd invest in the C-ROK brace. Far and away the best for that area. 33's will stress the Hell out of your steering!

Rocketman said:
Seems like you have most all the bases covered. Nice selection of everything. HEY ALL, not everyone is a gear head and not everyone has the time, tools, location or expertise to install a lift themselves even with experienced help. It's good he's regearing with the 33's.

I WOULD make sure you have that adjustable trackbar and I'd upgrade the tie rod to a heavy duty one. You'll want to make sure your steering gear mounting is reinforced. (overlooked) If your front bumper doesn't extend to reinforce the 3 mounting bolts, I'd invest in the C-ROK brace. Far and away the best for that area. 33's will stress the Hell out of your steering!

Thanks for your response. I don't have the time, tools, or experience to put a lift of this size on by myself.

I have an ARB front bumper, I may be mistaken, but this bumper does tie into the 3 steering box bolts. Let me know if I'm wrong and I'll add that onto my list as well. Good idea on the track bar and the tie rod.

While they're in there, I'm going to have them install a transmission cooler and a power steering cooler.

Any easy way to tell which u joints I have in the front?

Do you have ABS?? 297's if you do on that D30. Tranny cooler nice investment. Why PS cooler? Seems like overkill. Your bumper does support the steering brace, you're cool there. When it's all apart, you might want to have them change the rear main seal for giggles, even if it's NOT leaking. IT WILL eventually. When the whole front end is off, it makes things lots easier.

ANY RE choice on lift is a good one. RE 5.5's come with adjustable trackbar so you're cool there too.

Look at OME or Bilstein shocks since you seem to have a bottomless wallet.

Minor things to consider. Robert Shaw thermostat, new radiator cap. Since performance mods are on your mind, oil cooler and remote oil filter mount would be cool. Fairly inexpensive too.

Last edited:
90Pioneer said:
I don't have ABS so that means I have the weaker 260s?

Probably... call Shawn at Jeepers and Creepers. Superior/Spicer axles for both sides, inners and outers BUILT w/297's SHIPPED for less than $250 total.

90Pioneer said:
I know there have been a lot of these type of posts, so please bare with me. I have a '96 XJ AW4 with a 231 t case. I'm having a shop install a lift for me next week. Is there anything else I am over-looking?

I'll be going with a 5.5" lift and 32 or 33" Trxus MTs or ATs. My rear end is an 8.25 with the Dana 30 up front. I should be safe running these tires without upgrading the axels, shouldn't I?

They will be installing gears for me as well. I have been planning to go with 4.56, which if I am correct, paired with 33"s, should be pretty equivilant to the stock gears and tires....right?

I will be going with a LSD rear and selectable front. Is the Dana 30 worth the 1k for an ARB? I will not be going any bigger. Are there any upgrades for the Dana 30 to make it hold up better?

Of course, I'll be needing a slip-yoke eliminator.

Anything else need to be changed? Any specific steering upgrades I should do?

Thanks NAXJA

90Pioneer said:
While they're in there, I'm going to have them install a transmission cooler and a power steering cooler.
If you're paying a shop to do all these installs...

Don't forget to have them lube your rear end...

Enjoy...

Gil BullyKatz said:
If you're paying a shop to do all these installs...

Don't forget to have them lube your rear end...

Enjoy...

Sorry but not everyone in the world is a cheap bastard. I figure my bill is going to be around $5k, another $150 to save me the hassle of doing it is worth it, at least to me.

:dunno:
90Pioneer said:
Sorry but not everyone in the world is a cheap bastard. I figure my bill is going to be around $5k, another $150 to save me the hassle of doing it is worth it, at least to me.

You found a shop that's gonna charge you $150 to install $5k worth of parts?

Not even Barrio Fabworks can beat that price...

Isn't labor $50-$100+ an HOUR?

Back