• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is this resistor?

Mike L

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 XJ with the 4.0L and AW4. The other day I was checking my fuse panel on the fire wall and there was something that resembled a resistor at the bottom of the panel. It has two terminals that go into the fuse panel it it sits at an agle from the bottom of the panel. ANyway, story short, as I was checking the fuses somehow I broke it off and the terminals are in still in the panel. I know I can get them out, or at least hope so. But I am wondering what thios resistor thing is for?

Before checking the fuses I noticed my horn was not working and that is what led me to check the fuses. I still need to fix that. Now if that resistor is somehow connected to the horn than it would make a little more sense. TIA.

-Mike

I doubt it's a resistor. More likely a plug-in circuit breaker. If you still have it, look on the body and see what it says. If it's a circuit breaker it'll be rated in amps. A resistor will be rated in ohms (or that upside-down 'U' symbol for ohms)

4.8 A 12V is what it says on it. So I guess that would mean it is a circuit breaker. Is this the one for the horn or what is it for?

-Mike

Check to see if your windshield wipers are working....
my chero (96) has a circuit breaker for the intermitent wipers....

sound about the same location.

rob

I will have to look into that. Thanks. Is that exact size a dealer only item or what?

-Mike

Mike, does it have the towing package? I think there's a relay somewhere in that vicinity (for trailer lights, or maybe electric brakes).

It was for the wipers. My horn doesn't work, is it tied into that breaker as well?

-Mike

Back