• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what now?

HilltopXJ

NAXJA Member #950
It all started a couple of months ago when my XJ was starting to take longer and longer to start. So I started to poke around the engine to see what was going wrong with the old girl. And I noticed that the O2 sensor was broke off. I bought a new one from the dealer and installed it. no change. still taking 10 or so seconds for it to fire up. Been dealing with it since then. then today I put new champion plugs and some wires, new cap and rotor , fuel filter. and a new coolant bottle that had a pin hole leak. Now she starts even worse than before. upon starting, it starts to chug and spuder. for about 5 to 10 more seconds then starts to run like a champ. Thought about buying a new TPS and CPS. But thought I would check here for advice first. all that crap starts to add up $$$. and might not be the prob anyway.
Ive got a 88 with a manual trany. Any help is welcome.

Thanks
Scott

Hmmm, just a thought, but with that O2 sensor not reading I think I'd disconnect the battery for 20 min or so to allow the computer to reset. What did the old plug tell you when you pulled them, rich, lean, etc. Some chiltons manuals have pictures of the plugs and what their conditions mean. I think I would also clean the engine with a good decarbonizer. The slow starting could also be from a problem with the fuel system. There is a check valve in there that is supposed to hold pressure in the fuel rail. Does this 10 second problem happen all the time or only on the first start after it's been sitting a while. You can attach a pressure gague to the fuel rail and see what the fuel pressure is like and how fast it bleeds down after shutting it off. Just some ideas.

Back