• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Takes a while to start.

summitlt

NAXJA Forum User
My truck has a problems tarting. It starts but it has to crank for about 3 seconds before it will start.

Is this normal? I bought the truck it had 2 year old gas, its gone now and I ran some injector cleaner. What else should I check.

summitlt said:
My truck has a problems tarting. It starts but it has to crank for about 3 seconds before it will start.

Is this normal? I bought the truck it had 2 year old gas, its gone now and I ran some injector cleaner. What else should I check.
Try putting the key in the position to start the fuel pump, then count to 10 and then crank. If it starts right up, that means that you're not holding any pressure in the lines and it bleeds back into the tank.

summitlt said:

Geez - WHAT IS THE YEAR??? If it's '90 or older expect a looong cranking time. Especially when cold.

summitlt said:

The year and engine is needed if it the 4.0l six with renix it would be normal.

My 91 does the same thing only takes a little longer. approx 10/15 seconds.
Guess I will try Kejtar idea.

If its bleeding back to the tank .... whats the fix?

If it indeed is a bleed back problem, it requires a new fuel pump.

What about the pressure regulator at the front of the fuel rail, that could what is failing also. Should do a fuel pressure test either way...

If its a RENIX(87-90), that is actually fast, usually takes 4 to 6 revolutions for the Crank Position Sensor to wake the squirrels up in the ECU to light up the spark and fuel injectors...:D

Have I mentioned here lately how much I now LOVE my RENIX!!! My new go to part to check on stalling, hard starting, bucking, jigglin drivetrain over bumps symptoms....is the KNOCK SENSOR. Had this problem for over three years and of 3 different mechanics, NOT ONE could figure it out. I found half of it danglin with the harness connector last week and the Jeep runs like a CHAMP now!!!

Cory

Sorry, its a 1990 with the 4.0

Im not used to having to list this info because all the other forums I frequent allow me to use a sig.

I didnt realize thats normal. Makes me feel a bit better.

Thanks!

The bleed back probelm can be solved using a check valve in the fuel line back by the pump. I installed one from BMW. Gotta be the one of the cheapest BMW parts for what you get. It is a short check valve with about a foot of high pressure fuel line (metric and BMW sells the stuff for 10 bucks a meter), a couple hose clamps (crimp style) and some caps for the 10mm nuts on the car. I have no idea what to use those for even on my BMWs which do not have this part.

The check valve is for the same problem, failed check valve in the main fuel pump. The part is about 5 bucks and the dealer will usually have to order it, but have in in a couple days. Just call the parts guy and order it by number.

16 14 9 068 988

My parts CD does not list the part so I can't tell you the correct name for the part.

Just my 2 cents: last weekend, I dropped the fuel tank to replace a bad sending unit on my '98 4.0. Decided to replace the $100+ fuel filter/regulator unit that sits on top the tank while it was down as it has 75,000mi on it. Operation went well; an unexpected benefit was that the car starts as soon as I turn the key... wasn't expecting that so I'm pretty pleased about it. Don't know if it was the filter or regulator function that made the change.
regards,
jlex.

Back