• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift opinions please

drifto77

NAXJA Forum User
Any opinions on these 2 lifts?
Tomken............
(this is out of 4wheeldrive hardware cat.)
Tomken 4" Lift Kit, XJ Cherokee, 1987-01 with Chrysler 8.25" Rear Axle. Product # 9836 $949.95
4XJ-Complete-Lift-Kit.jpg

(was thinking this one due to the johnnie joints)

OR this one, from RE......
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit. $949.95 + S&H
RE6130.jpg

Anything else needed for any of the 2?
(ie:spring bushings for the RE?)
How do they preform?

Are you sure you want to spend a G for a lift? Have you considered looking into Rusty's Offroad? Sure he catches some heat, but with my experience dealing with him i've had no problems. His lifts are very appealing to those on budgets. I got my 3" AAL for $245. In my neck of the woods, there isn't any serious crawling. As far as all the negative feedback about aal's go, my rear feels 10x greater now than it did stock. The only thing I regret is that I ordered the HD Spring Rate Coils. I might take care of that sometime in the future. Seriously consider going with Rusty's. Even if you buy a kit with full spring packs, you'll still have a ton of cash to purchase other things you might want to add onto your XJ.

Edit : If you're stuck on either one of those kits, i'd suggest the RE, there's so much positive feedback about them, you probably can't go wrong.

Last edited:
I want to stay away from the AAL, I hear they dont last long when you have weak springs like I do.
Have not checked Rusty's. Have heard bad things about them. shipping, parts not there, ect... ect...

So far so good, as for the aal. The ride's great, and it gets really good flex. I'll be the first one in line to say that rusty shipped my lift out to me in under one week. Keep in mind, this is the slowest shipping method, ups ground. As far as parts go, everything was there. I just don't see how he gets such a negative response. I can say nothing but good about Rusty's.

Check with 4X4 groupbuys.com; Jason knocked off big $$$ from my MJ lift. I'm running the RE 5.5 and it was a relatively easy install for a couple non mechanics. The only issues I had were cheesy weld on shock mounts, a failure on my part to specify the correct u bolts for my D44 (both taken care of by RE) and make sure you get the gen 2 Disco's. Another thing to make sure of was that they include the sway bar relocation brackets; they failed to include them but sent them at no charge ( like the u bolts and shock mounts) when I inquired about problems.

Last edited:
If your going to spend that much go with the RE it is definetly more complete just remember your SYE and shaft at that lift and get an alingment done.

If you dont wanna spend that kinda money and get roughly the same lift for way cheaper go with the 3.5" RE or 3" Skyjacker standard kit. Both are $600 or less.

This is a pretty simple decision.
Hmmm.... Lets see.
Tomken: Brake lines? No. Trackbar? No. Swaybar Disconnects? No. New swaybar endlinks? No. Heavy duty greasable shackles? No.

Rubicon Express: Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, and Yes.

:)

Back