• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tapping steering box. tap the front or the sides?

hpi_jeep

NAXJA Forum User
getting ready to do the cheap hydro assist, i have seen people tap the "cap" or the front of the box and i have also seen people (brett, ashman) tap the sides of the box. are they any advantages or disadvantages to either? anyone have pictures of how they tapped theirs?

often times when tapping the caps they will crack, since they are aluminum and you are tapping a tappered hole. Some people get away with it by TIG welding aluminum fittings to the caps. I also doubt there is room for a fitting on the front cap on an XJ because of how close the steering box mounts to the front crossmember.

just do the box itself like Ashman's writeup

I've run hydro on a few XJ's with tapping the caps. It works, but going into the case is the way to go if you have the time.

If you do the caps, there's the end, and top cap. A quick buzz with the plasma gets the offending sheetmetal out of the crossmember to clear the end cap's hose. Be careful though, I once ran a tap too deep on the end, and the nut on the piston inside the box hit the fitting and blew the cap out while turning.

Back