• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood glare

Kinch

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys i just mounted 4 of the hella 500's on my roof rack and im getting a big time glare back on to the windshield from the hood. I've searched and havent really found a fix. My rack pretty much eats up the whole roof so i cant move it back and now im thinking about blacking out the hood somehow, kind of like the rovers. But i was wandering if anybody has done this? what you used and what body lines you followed? and if anybody else has any advice feel free to share. here is the only pic i have so you can kind of see where the lights are and what i have to work with.
Thanks,
Wes
wes31.jpg

Can't really help ya with the lights, but it looks like you need longer brake lines!!

I'm not a huge fan of lights on the roof rack, because unless your the trail guide you can't use them on a wheeling trip cause you'll blind the guys in front of you! The ones on the bumper can still be used as long as they are aimed down, they dont shine into the mirrors of the Jeeps infront of you!

Could you put something under the lights so it blocks the light casts a shadow on your hood and the light starts out farther?
Like This: [Light]__

RalphXJ said:
Could you put something under the lights so it blocks the light casts a shadow on your hood and the light starts out farther?
Like This: [Light]__

here you go
p30948.JPG

i have seen a picture of those somewhere before but have never seen them "in person". Yes its true that they would blind someone if you are on the trail behind them. but i like having them there for when can use them :) and here is another picture different angle. You can see there is still slack in the brake line.
wes41.jpg

An excellent way of reducing glare from all sources (sun, on-coming traffic, roof lights) is to paint the hood a "flat", or dull color (flat black would work best, but any color will work as long as its dull). Many race cars use this approach, especially WRC cars, they even go so far as to cover the dash with a black felt type material to reduce glare.

Back