• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Polishing Help

XJAnthony

NAXJA Forum User
I have the aluminum wheels and they're in dire need of a good polish. My Question is what tools, procedures, and polish do you use. I have a Flits, Blue magic polish, and 20$ Thanks for any help.

I was talking to the trucker delivering gas to the station a couple weeks ago when I was washing all the tow trucks for the parade. He was telling me all sorts of wierd stuff that he used to do to polish things up when he had his show rig. He was saying something about using baking soda on aluminum wheels when polishing them. I can't remember what the baking soda does but maybe if you know someone thats into that stuff you can ask them. I think Dr Moab drives a truck so he might know something about it. Try sending him a PM.

Most often they are clear coated, a quality clear coat polish, mine look and feel like a urethane coating. I just stripped the clear coat off of a set of aluminum wheels and had them powder coated, a whole lot less work in the long run. But boy was it ever a job, getting all the clear coat off and the painted highlights.
If they are the OEM lace type aluminum wheels, there are various things going on. The clear coat lifts and blisters (dull spots), the aluminum underneath oxidizes (dark spots). Polishing usually doesn´t help much and/or for long.

Last edited:
They use baking soda to eliminate the swirl marks and helps polish. Never dull is what have used alot before. Its slow but it works. That new mothers powerball works great. Plus a higher speed polish lasts longer than one done by hand.

get yourself a good drill and a couple of wire wheels, polish away. I cleaned up my dingy looking aluminum wheels about 6 months ago, and they're still looking as good as the day i polished them. there is some pictures on my page. the red jeep had the wheels originally. then i cleaned them up and put them on my black jeep.
http://members.tripod.com/daniel7310

Back