• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolant Sensor Location??? 93 XJ 97 Block

NHxj4x4

NAXJA Member #1132
Guys,

Just installed my stroker, only thing is that I do not have the hole at the back of the block for my cooland sensor (the one that feeds the temp gauge) so I have no idea how hot it is running.

I need to know where the hole for the coolant temp sensor (one that feeds the temp gauge) is on a 97 block. Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks,

Todd

On a 97 the guage is fed from the computer.The coolant temp sensor is in the thermostat housing.I would not tap into those wires to run another guage.Put in a "T" fitting and put both sensors in it.
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
On a 97 the guage is fed from the computer.The coolant temp sensor is in the thermostat housing.I would not tap into those wires to run another guage.Put in a "T" fitting and put both sensors in it.
Wayne

If I did a T wouldn't that negate the fact that it would need constant flow of coolant over it? Plus where the heck would I find a 3/8 NPT to 1/8 NPT and 3/8 NPT T fitting?

Can I Install an Autometer in the drain plug under the #3 freeze plug? That is a 3/8 NPT and the Autometer's that I have seen include a 3/8 NPT adapter and a 1/8 NPT Sensor. If is awfully close to the headers though, I wonder if that would be OK?

I don't think the flow of coolant over the sensor would matter much. The thermostat housing is the same temp as the coolant, or damn near.

Seems to me, I've seen gizmos that put a sensor in a radiator hose.

Fred

Heater host tee, radiator hose tee, or drain plug fitting. If the drain plug is threaded 1/4"NPT or 3/8"NPT, that's one of the better places.

Where possible, the coolant temperature should be measured somewhere near the back of the block, since that's about the hottest part of the engine. The back of the cylinder head is best, the back of the block is second best. I'm sure it's possible to drill and tap the cylinder head to accept a sensor, but I haven't been able to experiment with that as yet.

I'm considering installing a drain valve in that location, but I'm working with RENIX blocks that have the sensor at the rear of the head - and I can always add the late-model thermostat housing if I need another sensor or a tap.

When installing a temperature sensor of any sort, it is important that the sensor tip is inserted into a near-constant a flow of the "fluid" as possible - whether that fluid is gaseous or liquid. While installing a "T" fitting will work find for a pressure sensor, it will eventually result in "falsing" for a temperature sensor - unless you can make it a flow loop with an inlet and an outlet. This is true for any case where you are trying to read temperature - for liquid or gas.

It is also possible to braze a bung into the radiator tank - if you do this, use the "hot" tank - where the upper hose goes into the radiator. Place the bung as close to the hose fitting as possible, since this will give a more accurate reading. Since the radiator is copper, you can easily braze or hard solder a copper, brass, or aluminum bung into the tank - once you have stripped the paint.

There is also the small fact that the temperature gage for the 1997 4.0 may not respond in the same manner to temperature as the 1995 and eariler units - it may not be a true "thermistor." Until this can be verified, I would also advise against tapping the existing signal to feed a gage. However, if you can verify that the later temperature sensor responds to temperature variation along the same curve, it is possible to split the signal - but I'd probably also advise the use of diodes to separate the signals.

Oh - it's possible to get reducing T fitting that "reduce on run" (one arms small than the other) and "reduce on branch" (base of T smaller than arms) - and you can nearly always one up/down one size, with going up/down two sizes possible with a little looking. I'd suggest doing this before trying to bush a branch downwards, since you want to make a plumbing system with as few joins as possible (reducing thereby the potential for leaks.) As long as the run of the T has a constant flow, and the sensor tip can reach into that flow, you should be able to get a true reading.

In fact - a likely place to put a "T" would be in the heater supply line from the water pump, since I have been summarily informed (subject to confirmation, of course! :laugh3: I'm a natural sceptic) that the heater core is subject to constant supply flow. The heater outlet on the water pump housing is threaded 3/8"NPT, and I commonly stick a longer pipe nipple into there and an elbow - since having a rubber hose running right behind a spinning pully makes me nervous... See my posts on this subject elsewhere.

5-90

Thanks 5-90, I knew that there had to be constant flow. It sound like a hose tap is going to be best for me, considering the extreme heat around the drain under # freeze plug. Too bad this is all crap I need to order, I wish I could run and buy it somewhere. Maybe I'll bit the bullet and overnight the hose petcock, and temp gauge. I already have a pillar pod, so that will prove handy. I'm just afraid to run the engine without knowing the temp, as all of us know, they overheat quick, and MAN it seems REALLY hot in my engine bay after 5 minutes.

Put heat sleeve around the wiring to the sensor, or just fab up a heat shield out of aluminum. You don't even have to buy stock for that - my trademark on hot Chevvy engines used to be the Pepsi can used for a heat shield on the starter solenoid - made all the difference in the world...

If you go with putting the sensor in the heater line, you can get the parts you need at the hardware store - but I'd suggest you use brass rather than iron - it holds up better and is easier to work with.

5-90

Back