• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can't remove front bumpstop, please help!!!

schmiedel

NAXJA Forum User
I'm just working on my XJ and I just can't remove the front bumpstop inside the coilspring. I've read that I should pull it out, but even with the spring removed, it seems just stuck (can't remove the rubber). Any ideas?

I usually ended up getting a set of large adjustable pliers or vise grips and clamping on and twisting them back and forth while pulling down. Seemed to do the job if I recall correctly.

What year XJ?

There are two types of front bumpstops. The early type screws in. I believe the later style presses in, but I don't remember what year they made the change.

Well, either way, it just wont get off, I already have got out one part of the bumpstop (in pieces, and the rest still is in, any other ideas? I'm beginning to get desperate. :(

schmiedel said:
Well, either way, it just wont get off, I already have got out one part of the bumpstop (in pieces, and the rest still is in, any other ideas? I'm beginning to get desperate. :(
what year??? this is important. If its an older year they just screw off but a newer one the rubber comes out and there is a bolt up under the rubber you have to take out.

OK, my XJ is an 88, and I alredy burnt out everything and now I'm stuck again. :( There's no bolt, it's just like a pin or something (seems that the whole thing was a screw in kind), but now I just have no idea of how to get everything off. I'm about to take a saw and cut it off!!! :D What else can I do?

Thought the springs would be my pain in the ass, but now I see that the simplest problem often is the worst. :(

All you had to do is grab the cup that holds the bump stop in place and unscrew it.

Pipe wrench is the answer. The '88 uses the screw-in type. The rubber is set into a metal cup. The metal cup has a stud on the top that screws up into the "tower." DON'T CUT IT! If you cut it, then you'll have to deal with extracting the stud before you can install a new bump stop. Just unscrew it.

Back