• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help!!! d35

cjwalkeriii

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys. Right now i am trying to fix the rear end of my moms gc. Tried jeepforum but know one helped. Anyhow. It had a droning noise coming from what seemed the right side. Took the diff cover off and the top and bottom pinion gears have symetrical chunks outta them. Are they supposed to? Also, if the axle bearing was bad would i see small chunks of metal in the diff? Also, othe oil, yeah its got metalic sparkles in it. Someone let me know. tia

i gotta bad feeling those chunks are from the r&p. but a droning noisefrom the right side would make me think you've got a bad axle bearing. chunks of metal in a diff is not good and if there are teeth missing from the ring or pinion do a full rebuild of the rearend bearings, seals etc.

cjwalkeriii said:
Hey guys. Right now i am trying to fix the rear end of my moms gc. Tried jeepforum but know one helped. Anyhow. It had a droning noise coming from what seemed the right side. Took the diff cover off and the top and bottom pinion gears have symetrical chunks outta them. Are they supposed to? Also, if the axle bearing was bad would i see small chunks of metal in the diff? Also, othe oil, yeah its got metalic sparkles in it. Someone let me know. tia
What year ZJ? And don't get offended by this but are you sure its a D35? The reason I ask is a droning noise is very common with an aluminum 44 in the 95 and newer ZJs.

As far as the pinion gears having chunks out of them...You say the top and bottom? There is only one pinion gear. Do you mean the spider gears? If so then if they are bad you should ONLY hear noise out of them if you are turning and the sharper you turn the worse it would get.

If you are talking about the ring gear and the pinion gear then yes...it might drone all the time.

Try taking the driveshaft out and wiggle the pinion up and down...see if there is any play.

Also if it is a D35 pull the shafts out and look at the bearing surface on the axle shaft. If you are only hearing it on one side I am guessing its a bad axle bearing...not a carrier bearing which is on the carrier itself.

thanks for the quick responses. Your right moab, i meant the spider gears, and was thinking along the same lines as you with the turning. So to take the right axle out, all i have to do is remoce the shaft by taking out that 1/4" then pull the shaft, correct?as long as the other side is intact i shouldn't have to worry about the spiders taking a dive? Thanks again for the help.
jamie

cjwalkeriii said:
thanks for the quick responses. Your right moab, i meant the spider gears, and was thinking along the same lines as you with the turning. So to take the right axle out, all i have to do is remoce the shaft by taking out that 1/4" then pull the shaft, correct?as long as the other side is intact i shouldn't have to worry about the spiders taking a dive? Thanks again for the help.
jamie
You still haven't convinced me of what axle it is. Are you sure its a D35? Don't take this as an insult to your manhood or anything...Just want to be sure because they work different ways.

If its a D35 then yeah you have to remove the crosspin. Do this by removing the little bolt that holds it in place and sliding it out. Then you push whatever side axle shaft you want to remove in...towards the center of the jeep and the c-clip should fall off. Then the axle should slide right out.

The spider gears will fall out now ONLY if you move the carrier. As long as you don't turn the wheels or the driveshaft they should stay in place just fine...IF they do fall out its not that hard to get them back in place....Its like a Chineese brain tickeler...you just have to sit back look and it will come too you.

I am 99% sure it's a d35. Only reason is bc of the size of it, and its a complete oval, well rounded. THe only markings are dana, rev h, and 43225? Tell me if i am right. ALso its a 97 limited, no towing, and awd.

cjwalkeriii said:
I am 99% sure it's a d35. Only reason is bc of the size of it, and its a complete oval, well rounded. THe only markings are dana, rev h, and 43225? Tell me if i am right. ALso its a 97 limited, no towing, and awd.
V8? or inline six?

edit: also does it have a rubber plug in the filler hole or a metal plug with a square hole?

hey, just wanted to thank you for all your help moab. Keep an eye on this thread, might need you again! lol

p.s.- where do i send your money? jk
jamie

OK, so i tired to put the axle in, my conclusion, the outer bearing was too tight for the axle. So i tried to remove it. haha ok so the bearings came out, the seal came out, but the race, its still in there. Tried a slide hamer, rig a bearing removal tool, all to no luck. Its still in there. What do i do now? How the hell do i get it out. oh, and it was one of those fixer packs, the ones that are one piece to move the bearings farther out on the axle, in case the axle was chewed up. someone help me!!!
jamie

Back