• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear end troubles...

95j33pXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I recently installed a rusty's 3'' lift with new rear leafs and ever since my rear end sounds like it is falling apart when i go over every single bump on the road...as far as i know when me and a friend installed the lift everything was bolted down properly and i dont think anything should be loose...im not much of a jeep tech so i have no clue where to start looking for problems or what exactly could be causing this...it kinda sounds like something is loose but i have no idea what it could be. It also makes a loud clunking noise from the rear when i push the clutch back in after going in reverse. Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this craaaaaap?

95j33pXJ said:
I recently installed a rusty's 3'' lift with new rear leafs and ever since my rear end sounds like it is falling apart when i go over every single bump on the road...as far as i know when me and a friend installed the lift everything was bolted down properly and i dont think anything should be loose...im not much of a jeep tech so i have no clue where to start looking for problems or what exactly could be causing this...it kinda sounds like something is loose but i have no idea what it could be. It also makes a loud clunking noise from the rear when i push the clutch back in after going in reverse. Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this craaaaaap?

First off after you drive it all bolts will loosen up a bit, everyting has to be retightened

the clunk sounds like maybe a loose DS ujoint. check em

assume everything has come loose.

xjnation said:
First off after you drive it all bolts will loosen up a bit, everyting has to be retightened

the clunk sounds like maybe a loose DS ujoint. check em

assume everything has come loose.
I agree on the Ujoint. When you lift a jeep the Ujoints run on a different surface area of the joint and lots of times wear completly out and sometimes self-destruct in a matter of 10 miles.

As far as the noise...it could be anything loose.

A stupid question? Did you replace the shocks? If you kept your stock length shocks it could be a matter of them bottoming out every time you hit a bump.

Have a look at the UJ on the slip yoke. It may be binding due to the increase in driveshaft angle. If it is, the easiest fix is to fit the slip yoke from a YJ to the XJ driveshaft, this will allow twice as much flex of the joint.

Another question is, did you actually get 3" from the nominal 3" lift ... or did you get more? Get underneath and see how much slip spline you have actually engaging the transfer case output shaft. Then take into account that when you accelerate, the axle causes the pinion to swing up or down (depending on if you're going forward or in reverse) and that pulls the slip splines even farther out on the output shaft. That clunking may be your slip yoke telling you it's getting ready to fall off the output shaft.

trying greasing up some of the bushings, even if they may be rubber. You can even try shooting some WD40 on them just to get them lubricated.

...another tip:

U bolts loosen.

solution is simple.
remove Rusty's parts.
sorry, had to! ;)

One thing to check is make sure you have the shocks mounted body down. Many people have them mounted shaft down and they won't work that way. Also, it may need a transfer case drop. Driveshaft may be trying to bind. Call the tech line tomorrow at 256-442-0607 and Rusty will be more than happy to help you out.

Thanks-Stretch

RustysOffroad.com

Back