• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

change xjd44 rear to hp

Michael McAtee

NAXJA Forum User
could i get ring and pinion from a front d44 and install them in my xj rear d44?? Then flip it over, weld the vent hole, drill new vent, weld on new leaf perchs, shock mounts, ect. would this work? would lubrication be an issue? It would be o-so awsome to have a hp rear.

Michael McAtee said:
could i get ring and pinion from a front d44 and install them in my xj rear d44?? Then flip it over, weld the vent hole, drill new vent, weld on new leaf perchs, shock mounts, ect. would this work? would lubrication be an issue? It would be o-so awsome to have a hp rear.

why not just buy a HP44 front housing and retube it. DONE

yes you will have major lube problems

A HP in the rear would be weaker than a LP. A HP is best for front axle applications.

it won't work

when you look at a high pinion and a low pinion housing from the diff side with the cover off, you will notice that on both the pinion sits to the right of the ring gear. now flip the LP housing over and the pinion sits to the left of the ring gear, rotate the pinion the same direction and what happens to the rotation of the ring gear?

and that would be even if you could get the parts to fit together in the housing, I don't think the gears would even mesh.

Last edited:
Well as Brett M stated, you'd have your jeep trying to rip itself in half.

Not to mention, just for shits and giggles, that even if you did drive around in reverse all day with the front d-shaft disconnected, that rear r&p would last about 10 miles before it blew to smitherines from lack of lubrication. The pinion would be running almost dry because the design of the differential casing wouldnt allow gear oil to circulate properly, and thus would heat the gears to the point of failure.

by using ring and pinion gears from a front d44 and flipping the rear axel over 180deg. When in reverese you would go in reverse and in drive you would go forward.

another one of those threads that many people are WRONG!!!
plain and simple. it will not work. LP front gears from a scout will not work. flipping the housing over will not work with hp gears. the only thing that will work is as nation said. get a HP front and retube it.
the LP D44 gears are the same. front or rear. and HP D44 gears will only work in a HP housing.
and running a HP D44 in the back is a weak setup. because you are using the reverse side of the gear, its weaker than the drive side.
are you hitting your driveshaft that much?

Back