• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cat - heatshield = ok?!?

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
not sure which forum, anyways,

can the cat run w/o heatshield? damage above f/heat, or below starting fires?

thanks

sv

I took mine off because it was "buzzing" I haven't had any problems but don't have any carpet either.

The floor gets real hot, and if you have something inside the jeep on that spot it can catch the carpet on fire bacause it will not let any heat out. I have a burn spot on my transmission hump where the carpet melted.

Mine was removed by a rock about a year ago and it hasn't started any fires....yet the floor does get hot though. My muffler actually caught the carpet under my back seat on fire on the last long trip I took the XJ on though. Try making a new HS would be my opinion, especially if you still have carpet in your XJ like I do.

I appreciate the warnings. The thing's buzzing/rattling like mad, and during my state inspection last week, (a whole 'nother thread) they tried to tell me my cats' bad. I'm going somewhere else to get the emissions codes to pass - need to reset the computer - but not this place.

I'm going to try hard to fasten it down better so I don't get the same line from NYS inspector #2, but as a last resort with the info I got here, I may mount the top half (I think its' made in two pieces, it seems to be separating) by bending the edges upwards and sheet-metal screwing it to the floor, I don't think four mounting points will cause problems.

Thanks,

sv

Do you have access to a welder? If not most shops will tack them together for next to nothing. The heatshield has nothing to do with your cat being bad.

I know, they wanted me to think that the rattling was the platinum or whatever metal inside breaking up. When I told them that what they were hearing was the sheet metal of the heat shield, it made the guy either a lier or an incompentent.

It burns me to high heaven when a "professional" tries to rip off another human being who he assumes is ignorant.

On top of this, I asked if he put the temporary failure sticker on (passed safety part of course), he said there's no such thing, but he did me a favor by leaving the old sticker on. Then he hands me the NYSDMV brochure describing how to drive the car to reset the codes, which also states that I do get that sticker to give me time - w/o getting a ticket - to fix the OBDII codes.

Sorry to digress, and I just heard thunder and shuttin' off the computer till storm passes.

thanks again for your help, very much welcomed...

sv

Back