• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange New Electrical Prob- bit long

crjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
First, used the "search key" found a couple somewhat close issues but not close enough.
Here are the details: 90 Laredo, 4.0, auto, 188,000 original miles. 2nd owner, well maintained, oil/filters(mobil 1) every 3000-3500. Suspension/extras in sig line.
I recently had my S-belt replaced and a tune up done consisting of new plugs(NGK), new plug wires and basic checks at a reputable mechanic. He reported no problems. "Great shape". 1 week before that I had my annual radiator flush and fill. (no problems, never overheats)
As I was on a trip to India(uggh) for a month while all this was being done, I did not drive the rig till last week. Great throttle response, felt great. However a few minutes after driving with the vent open and blower on, my amp gauge plummets to just above the 9v line, lights dim, blower pops it's fuse and rig dies. Restarts right away. I think, "never before, sat too long", replaced the fuse and drove on. The fuse blows again about 3 hours later, same thing. Tried to trace out any shorts, can't find any. No smoking wire smells, no consistent pattern. Tried to force it to pop while running everything, AC, wipers, windows, lights, IPF's, blower, brakes...nothing. Few hours later, same thing. Engine tries to die, amp gauge plummets, fuse pops.
I am totally lost on this one, alternator is 1 year old, OEM. Amp gauge sits just below middle at idle. This can happen anywhere, anytime. no method to the madness.
Ask if more info is needed, any thoughts, ideas greatly appreciated.

csr_011 said:
"blower pops it's fuse and rig dies"

Cory
You need a new blower motor or the blades are rubbing somthing. My blower motor is bad, it's squeeling, if I let it run the battery voltage starts falling, I'm sure if I left it on it would blow the fuse.

Last edited:
Back