• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof rack weight, how heavy is it?

corbinafly

"Mmmm. More please."
Just doing some research before I start making one that I actually like. For those of you with roof racks, how much does yours weigh and what brand and size is it? If you made your own, what did you use (aluminum, steel, etc.), how much does it weigh, and could you post a photo? I'm wondering how heavy is too heavy.
Thanks to all that respond.

K

What are you going to be carrying on your roof that is so heavy that you are worried about the weight of the roof rack itself. Just curious.

I have just recently added a Garvin Sport series rack.
I was able to do some bartering w/ a local shop for the rack, they had it sitting around - wrong order....
Otherwise it would have been 500$ from quadretec or $600 local. I got it for 250 and trade of a couple ot things laying around... enough about the deal i got.
So it is smaller, 50" X 52" BUT is all i need, partaily because i dont want to carry alot up on it weight wise COG and also will not be carrying a spare tire up there. But it is enough for Camping with the family, 2 kids and wife...
SO TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION ABOUT WEIGHT:
its about 40# i think.. or so.... but not a whole lot more....just about right
plus its super heavy duty steel (as heavy duty as a rack gets i suppose LOL)

Back