• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Super Swamper best tire four choices

afd516

NAXJA Forum User
O.K. I am building new axles for my xj. Dana 44, ford 9" 35 spline. This is a trail rig, toy, money pit, but worth it to me.

I am set on going with Super Swamper. All of them will be in the 36x12.50x16 range, and will be a bias ply tire.

Ok
1. TSL
2. TSL/SX
3. IROK
4. BOGGER

Pros and cons, please help me make my decision.
Money is not a factor being that they are all in the same price range.

wow all that info and you didnt even say what kind of terrain

What ever kind of terain I come across. This jeep will see Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Cali, And right now it sees as much as Texas as it can with these weak axles. May even see some of the east.

get the SSR's. i had them in the 33x14.50 flavor. kicked ass. great traction and wear on the road. awsome offroad. definetly consider them in your choices. they are siped.

Thornbirds are the best tire

Just Look at them!

how can they be beat?

choices, choices, choices.

More options make it more difficult but I am appreciative of the other possible tires to go with and will definately give them a look. I must say that it will be difficult to get me off my Super Swamper kick.

Keep your opinions coming. Please, give me reasons why or why not to go with a particular tire.

IROKS. They're siped for wet traction, and are more flexible than the rest of the Swamper line, allowing them to conform better to the terrain. Boggers are awesome in mud, but they lack lateral stability. I've seen them sliding sideways when other tires were holding fine. The TSLs and the SXs are both very good tires, but I think the IROKS are a little more versatile. I'll get mine in the radial construction, however.

If you want Swamper and bias ply, then its hard to beat the TSL SXs. Probably the best of the SS line for bias ply workhorse tires. Not great on the road, but what do you expect? :laugh3:

You should be happy with them on the trail. I highly suggest beadlocks so you can get in the low single digit psi # so they will do their magic. They are good on just about anything but the road.

What Rd, you reconfirmed my findings to the tee. IROKS are the choice right now. TSL/SX look like a very good choice also. Anyone going to change my mind?

Any other info for or against any other Swampers?

afd516 said:
What Rd, you reconfirmed my findings to the tee. IROKS are the choice right now. TSL/SX look like a very good choice also. Anyone going to change my mind?

Any other info for or against any other Swampers?

IROK look good too, but the TSL SX's have tons of history and work very good. I don't think you will regret either one. The only 1 I'd avoid is the Bogger, unless all you do is mud.

Big Red, you are doing a damn good job at changing my mind to the SX's. Anyone going to push over the edge or keep me teetering with the IROKS.

These tires will be purchased this week. Or next week now that it is fri.

redyouch said:
get the SSR's. i had them in the 33x14.50 flavor. kicked ass. great traction and wear on the road. awsome offroad. definetly consider them in your choices. they are siped.
:wave:
afd516 said:
All of them will be in the 36x12.50x16 range, and will be a bias ply tire.

SSR's "awesome" ??? Those tires suck. They are street tires. This is a trailer rig according to afd516. I too would have to vote on the SX's. The Bogger is a great tire, and is the tire of choice for my XJ, but I do realize their lack of sidehilling capability. Up here in Alaska though, they are really in their element, and idle through some things that many rigs will dig and sink in. The tsl is good all around, but why not add in the extra benefit of having a super tough and functional sidewall tread?
The IROK is touted as a great performer as well, but they have proven that their sidewalls are some of the most vulnerable out there when it comes to crawling. You'll have a hard time cutting up the SX.

Last edited:
Soooo, no SSR's huh. You are about as far away as you can be from me. Alaska would be a cool trip except I am used to the heat.

Boggers for Alaska and SX's anywhere else I could see that.

Mud and slop is fun but for the most part not my cup of tea. Otherwise, boggers would be a good choice. And sidehilling I could see as a weak point in them due to the agressive paddle design. I will go through mud though, it is fun.

The side walls was my concern of the IROK. You are not the first that I have heard that they are weak from.

Why not add the extra sidewall to the TSL and get the SX?

The SX is starting to look like my future puchase.

Post more opinions. They do help in my choice. Thanks for the replys.

Sam

Last edited:
afd516 said:
Big Red, you are doing a damn good job at changing my mind to the SX's. Anyone going to push over the edge or keep me teetering with the IROKS.

These tires will be purchased this week. Or next week now that it is fri.

Ask on Pirate4x4.com as well. There are a lot more people over there with bias tires on all types of vehicles. Do your research on Yahoo and other search engines, but I think you will find lots of good comments on the SX.

If you were looking for a radial for anything but heavy mud use, I'd suggest the GY MTR. I never owned a bias ply tire, I've had a few sets of MTRs, Pro Comp MTs and XTs, SS TSL radials, BFG MTs and ATs. The only bias ply tire I have driven on are 35" MT Baja Claws and it wasn't a nice ride that I'm used to with radials.

One day I would like to get some alloy front shafts/joints in my 44, lose another couple hundred pounds of weight, and run the 37" radial IROKs. They measure the same height as the bias 36" Iroks and will wear better on the street. At least consider them.

more important, tires are far more terrain specific than vehicle specific, so ask the guys that wheel the places you wheel (or will wheel) rather than a bunch of guys all over the country that happen to have the same vehicle as you.

Thanks for the suggestions on these tires guys. It is very much appreciated. I am not in that much of a hurry so I will keep up my research and see what else I come up with.

Big Red and arctic xj have sold on the SX's for now.

Brettm I am going to take your advice and consider your IROK radials but it seems that the SX is a more all around tire with a tough sidewall from the research that I have done

I will also reseach other places with different sites with other 4xs are using on what terrain. See what those guys have to say. That is a suggestion I did not think of. Thanks Brettm

I will post later with what I purchased.

Keep posting with your opinions.

Back