• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front drive shaft rebuildable?

Jump This

Just another minion!
Since I have torn up two front drive shafts recently (damage not caused by any common occurances.) I was wondering if there is a way to rebuild the cardigan (spelling?) joint or if anyone rebalances them.
What would normally cause the joint to give?
Why would a shaft start to wobble without any perticular incident?
Rick R :sunshine:

There easy to rebuild. Buy a new centering bearing and ujoints(buy good ones) Do you have a big lift?

Not enough info!Lift?Transfer case?Axles?Suspension type?Pinion angle?Are you limiting your "drop-out"?

If you go to a parts store or dealer, it's called a centering yoke. I looked at two different aftermarket brands and niether one would allow the factory (unavailable) boot/seal to be used, even though it was cracked a little. And the dealer couldn't find me one, so I got one on ebay and it was exactly the spicer unit I took off.

Just make sure you use a really good synthetic grease on it because it's not greaseable.

RCP Phx said:
Not enough info!Lift?Transfer case?Axles?Suspension type?Pinion angle?Are you limiting your "drop-out"?
Doesn't EVERYONE have the same set up as mine?
5.5" lift, 33 MTRs, all the normal goodies (lockers, no sway bars, longer travel shocks, dropped transfer case, Superior axels, never measured front pinion angle....shocks are the only limiting 'strap' on the front....)

The only reason I asked, was that someone who I thought would know better told me that the front drive shaft was NOT rebuildable, it didn't make any sense to me, and a cardigan is a pullover wool sweater, not a button down.
I had a few cold ones before I posted last night...... :laugh3:
Rick R :sunshine:

Taking it to a driveshaft shop might be the best idea. It'll be around $130 to get all the joint changed out, and even have the double cardan rebuilt, with the center bearing replaced as well.

Back