• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No second stage in torque conv. and smoking wires

SimpleXJ

NAXJA Forum User
This is the revision of the thread I titled Neutral Start Switch, since NSS was not the problem.

Here's what's going on guys, I bought an 89 XJ with a new Jasper engine. The guy who installed it really messed some things up. Every once in a while the jeep doesn't want to start - just cranks and the wires smoke at the two connectors at the trans dipstick in the engine bay. The wires that have burned pretty good are the center two on the black connector (black and black/white), and as far as I can see they go to the transmission position switch on the side of the tranny.

Also, when driving I can tell that the second stage of the torque converter never kicks in. I have 3 XJs and I know how they shift, or at least enough to know that this one isn't shifting like it should. It lugs up hills because it won't kick down into first stage or even a lower gear, and there is a slight delay when I go to start the ignition before the starter turns. I have to hold the switch in the start position for a few seconds.

The real kicker is that when I unhooked the black connector (one with the short) at the dipstick the jeep still started up. I know it should not do this. I even tried it on my 88 just in case, and sure enough it did not start.

I'm pretty sure the second stage of the torque converter is controlled by the TCU. Since that's not working and the wiring problem seems to be in the trans harness, anyone know how to test the TCU to make sure it's OK? I realize this is a serious problem and could take a while to find. I just need a good place to start.

Thanks very much, everyone.

Regards,

SimpleXJ

Back