• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE $6 can make

Rocketman

NAXJA Forum User
I was starting to have some cooling issues so I figured it was time not only for a flush but changing to one of the Robert Shaw thermostats. I normally run the 50/50 mix with a botlle of Water Wetter or Purple Ice as well.

The thermostat, which I can watch open and move via my gauge now rests at 190* or so no matter what I have on on am doing. It actually runs at about 185* or so with the air on as it kicks on the electric fan.

IF you don't have one of the high flow, performance, tuned, Shaw, whatever you want to call them thermostats. GO BUY ONE. $10 vs. $4 but the best $6 you'll spend on your XJ.

By the way, I got mine from Quadratec and it was labeled by OmixADA BUT it has the exact p/n of the Shaw and is listed on their site as a Shaw. I guess Shaw markets to many labels.

I'd say the same about the radiator cap. My old one, 7 years old, looked normal, but my temps dropped when I bought a replacement.

Same thing with me, dropped about 10 degrees when I replaced the cap. Still need a new thermostat though.........

I have to agree....that is why I buy most of my stuff from NAPA. Those few bucks saved are quickly lost the second time you have to replace it....

But you have me thinking now......As we all know, the integrety of the cooling system is a function of how well it holds pressure. A 16 PIS system at sea level will not boil until the temp hits 251.6 degrees. One reason the remote pressure resivour on the 90's and earlier were problem childs.......Maybe I should add a pressure gauge to the cooling system? Once the pressure hits 16PSI...you know your in trouble....emmmmmmmmmmmm

Back